Submitted by GodMike t3_11b2k5j in newhampshire

They sent me a couple of forms of their own to sign. By signing them I’d be acknowledging that I will allow them to perform a “pre-inspection” and pay crazy fees for small damages. For example, if they have to sweep the kitchen and remove trash, it says it is $100.

Neither of these forms were mentioned in my lease agreement. They also purchased the building from another landlord so they don’t know the condition of the apartment to begin with. I’ve already given 60 days notice through certified mail. Has anyone run into this?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

-cochise t1_j9vtxyy wrote

I’m a landlord (I know, I know). If it ain’t on any document you’ve signed, don’t give them an inch. They can inspect, but be there when they do and demand proof of previous condition for anything they want to take notes on.

batmansmotorcycle t1_j9vtj44 wrote

Having pre set fees is suspect as landlords may only deduct from the security deposit costs to repair damages beyond normal wear and tear. I wouldn’t sign anything, they are free to inspect and I’d say that them being there with you for an inspection is to your benefit but do not agree to fees not in your lease or not supported by receipts or quotes etc.

Refer to this site for more information specifically the “Moving Out Section”

https://www.doj.nh.gov/consumer/sourcebook/renting.htm#:~:text=Anything%20that%20you%20pay%20to,receipt%20for%20your%20security%20deposit.

phant-m t1_j9vjxg5 wrote

The inspection part sounds normal to me. I don't know the specific laws for NH, but I know in other states, they will offer to do the inspection and deduct what they will from your deposit. Sometimes they are unreasonable though so you might have luck asking why things are so expensive.

It's good to take pics of your place when you move in to be able to dispute anything. Definitely brush up on your tenant rights because a lot of landlords will try to screw you over.

GodMike OP t1_j9w2yut wrote

I should’ve been more specific. The pre-inspection has to occur within 30 days before I move out.

phant-m t1_j9w7jgi wrote

That sounds normal. You wouldn’t want the inspection 2 months before you move out, and if you’re there for the inspection, you can be aware of exactly what they write down in terms of “damages.”

You could probably deny the inspection but might risk not getting your full deposit back.

GodMike OP t1_j9wbn66 wrote

Thanks. My head got kinda crazy wrapped around the idea of “signing something”. It does seem reasonable enough.

DeerFlyHater t1_j9waxv7 wrote

As a lifelong renter, that sounds normal.

The pre-inspection can be useful if it's the same group who do the pre and final inspection. It was that way when I lived in IN, LA, and AK. Got to shake hands, chat, and realize holy cow you expect all this to be clean-taking notes furiously. Never really had a problem. Except once when a landlord in NC refused to return my deposit, but he was in the process of losing his realtor's license and likely his freedom for keeping the rents for the properties he managed.

The threatened fees are mostly encouragement for the tenant to clean things up.

As already mentioned, move out pics are pretty important.

Doug_Shoe t1_j9wf531 wrote

I'd likely send them a certified letter with the notice. I would think about calling a lawyer and having him send the letter.

Disclaimer I'm not a lawyer, but if the forms aren't in the lease then I don't think they are a requirement. If the lease says notice then give notice done. But given how they're acting I'd think the crazy fake fees are coming so more thoughts about lawyer. But that's me.

AnythingToAvoidWork t1_j9x3p7b wrote

Having a lawyer send the letter is often more than enough to dissuade shifty landlords. They're looking to prey on easy targets who don't know their rights (Like me, I got swindled out of my deposit when I was living on my own for the first time).

Having a lawyer send it probably will scare them off. They're just rats.

alkatori t1_j9z133r wrote

Talk to a lawyer that specializes in this type of stuff. I think the state has some as well.

Contracts law, when someone decides to play stupid games with you make sure that you are set up so they can win stupid prizes.

boston_shua t1_j9z7j77 wrote

We got hit with a “Covid cleaning fee” when we broke our lease. We hadn’t signed anything like that and they just added it. So we just didn’t pay it.

NHGuy t1_j9z820x wrote

You gave them all that you are required to. It's on them to accept it or not. Don't sign anything else.

By law they can't charge you anymore than they can deduct from security deposit above and beyond normal wear and tear.

Take photos