Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kells938 t1_j8id815 wrote

How does this have anything to do with wages. I would bet that the thief doesn't have a job. Not saying that wages don't have to increase but your grasping at straws that aren't even there.

jwiggler t1_j8ie5wx wrote

I think it has more to do with drugs and street living than with wages. But I think the general sentiment is the same -- if the government provided a reliable and easy way out of that life through programs, this would be less of a problem.

Obviously that's a contentious issue though, especially in this state and in this subreddit. It's difficult to define what that reliable and easy way out is, and how much it costs, and whether it actually works, etc.

kells938 t1_j8ikxp2 wrote

There are so many programs as is. WIC, housing assistance, free rehabs, etc. more programs unfortunately doesnt necessarily mean the problems will be fixed. I would 100% agree that more than likely drugs and mental health are a factor, but unfortunately forcing people to get help doesn't work.

jwiggler t1_j8j9s68 wrote

Yeah, I'm not necessarily trying to argue for more programs. I'm just trying to illustrate OPs general sentiment

WWDubz t1_j8if13e wrote

There are entire shelves of books written on the subject: here’s the first google result:

Among other conclusions, it found that “the average minimum wage increase of 8% reduces the probability that men and women return to prison within 1 year by 2%.” It also found that “results suggest that the wages of crime are on average higher than comparable opportunities for low-skilled labor in the legal labor ...Mar 3, 2021 https://interrogatingjustice.org › mi... Could Raising the Minimum Wage Impact the Criminal Justice System?

−1