Submitted by bassboat1 t3_y43ci8 in newhampshire

Got this in the mail today. Has anyone replied and gotten a test done for free, or is this merely a way to produce leads for conditioner systems?

I was thinking of having the water from Lovell spring in New Boston/Lyndeborough tested, as I 've been drinking the hell out of it for the last 50 years.

TIA!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

a1234321 t1_isca2o1 wrote

It's an ad. Throw it away.

If you want your stuff tested, go looking. If someone is coming to you with an offer, that's a red flag every time.

FreezingRobot t1_isc4o18 wrote

I'm sure this is like the "free" brake check that mechanics will do.

TJsName t1_isc68y1 wrote

If you're concerned about your water, I would recommend paying an independent lab to test it.

a1234321 t1_iscabf1 wrote

If you live in a town with a brewery it can't hurt to ask if they'd be willing to share their water report, since they get one every year.

TJsName t1_iscauj2 wrote

Interesting idea. In my case we use a dug well, so we get it tested periodically. It was very acidic but otherwise fine, so we put in a treatment for the pH issue and it's been great.

a1234321 t1_isfiigy wrote

How is the dug well life? I've always had a drilled one.

TJsName t1_ishypuu wrote

It's been good. We have a high water table, so no issues with water supply..good quality and taste.

woolsocksandsandals t1_isd07sh wrote

They’re trying to sell you a water filter system.

WellWhatTheHeck_1 t1_isd48hz wrote

Yes indeed they are. They aren't in the business of making LESS money.

We had our water tested because we were getting crudge in the tub (or whatever). $14k later (they sold us EVERYTHING and we were stupid enough back then to bite) and now we have a fuckload of water systems that we don't need and constantly cause us issues.

Fuck them.

woolsocksandsandals t1_isd6lyw wrote

They hustle people like crazy in Maine and the realtors are in on it. When we bought our house there we “had to” get a water test they found radium and uranium (IIRC) they weren’t really unsafe levels but convinced us they were and sold us on a $10,000 system. When we sold the house to move back here the buyers had a water test done and guess what, the water was still no good and the system had to get replaced. They sold the buyers on a $20,000 system to mitigate dissolved minerals that only exceeded “safe levels” by like .01% on 3 out of 6 tests we did over the course of like 38 months.

WellWhatTheHeck_1 t1_isd7lqe wrote

Yup. "Uranium and radon."

The hustled us good. We've been paying for that mistake for a decade now.

Quirky_Butterfly_946 t1_isbwyyn wrote

It does look scammy. I would not send it in. I'll keep a look out in my mail

TwinTtoo t1_iscjq08 wrote

Home Depot has free water testing

TechPriestPratt t1_iscup28 wrote

Any of the offers like this I have done are just leads to very expensive conditioner systems. They generally don't really test for anything you really care about like pfas.

The one I have done just show up to your house with another test that changes some colors and shows that you have high or low ph or whatever. But if you look at the range of the test the thing turns a certain color at right over/under and they have no way of telling you what it actually is, and then they try and sell you a 8k$ filtration system.

Empty-Hope1814 t1_iscwl69 wrote

Hey don’t quote me on this but unh has tons of resources they can probly test your water for free theve looked at pictures we sent in and told us where to prune our trees

canyonlands2 t1_isv78p1 wrote

If you’re on the town water supply, google your “your town” with “CCR”. Public water supply is mandated by the EPA to have a water quality report (consumer confidence report) released annually.

bassboat1 OP t1_isvpxjq wrote

My town water's fine, and they're upfront about what's in the water.

I get my (not-at-home) drinking water from a spring, and a lot of other folks depend on that spring for their primary potable water supply. I'm curious about the water quality, and would like to share the info with the other users.

canyonlands2 t1_isvx9oc wrote

It’s possible the town can run tests on it, depending on the size/staff of the lab, but you’ll probably have to pay. Some private well companies do their own testing annually and may not release the info so it’s possible that the results already exist. Otherwise, I’d probably go with the suggestions provided above