Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

valleyman02 t1_iv1p9vi wrote

So I think that the x-axis starts at far left moves to far right. And y-axis is most probable candidate the voter votes for. But yeah who knows really and they do it on purpose. To confuse on purpose. So people don't really understand even what they're seeing. Just another attempt to confuse the voters. To make it so the left and the right can look at the same graph and come to two different conclusions.

Because that's the American way today. As confusing as we can make it.

myActiVote OP t1_iv1qcv0 wrote

Apologies - the goal is not confusion and this generally looks better when a voter is only looking at the people on their own ballot. I posted the full state to learn from the discussion.

On the axis - we made this video a few years ago. We wanted to avoid the bias of using predefined axis as setting them in advance supposes that you know those are the most important dimensions and we wanted the data to determine the dimensions. Not claiming it is perfect, but that was the rationale for our approach.

So we let the algorithm determine which issues most differentiate voters - and those turned out to be economic (taxes, opportunity, spending) - and those make up the x axis. And then which issues next differentiated voters - and those turned out to be (individual rights, foreign policy, education, immigration) - and those make up the y axis.

valleyman02 t1_iv1rdlr wrote

As an old STEM student myself. I actually do appreciate the data. You can never have enough data. Honestly I wasn't trying to put down this study. I appreciate the hard work and commitment it took to produce it. Thank you.

myActiVote OP t1_iv1ysz5 wrote

Feedback & input is how we all make things better. Thanks for taking the time.