Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Doug_Shoe t1_j063sim wrote

Well not functioning? Is that actually the case here? What was the gallons per minute listed in the water test? Has the homeowner been using a lot more water than that?

-because having your own well =/= infinite supply of water on tap.

otiswrath t1_j06kwfq wrote

If you read the post they said they "literally have no water".

I am taking that as meaning just what they said.

Dugen t1_j08ogf9 wrote

As someone who has lived with a low yield well that is getting lower every time someone puts a house in nearby, I doubt the well was always empty. It can be that as people moved in nearby and started using up the water, they lowered the water table enough so some of the wells started running dry. They may have drilled a well with a good flow rate to a water source that is now empty. The options are shitty. The best option might be to drill a very deep well. If the cost to put in a good well gets high enough, setting up a small water system might be a better option.

Doug_Shoe t1_j06lxio wrote

if you run a well dry then you "literally have no water" until the well refills from ground water seeping into it. It's how wells work.

I believe the person also said they opened a tap before buying the house and had water at the sink (or whatever). So that means it's not that the well is bone dry all of the time.

-------------------------------

I don't know the answers to my own questions (above). I suspect that they were given the results of a well test and that the gallons per minute is in actuality what the results specify. I am NOT a lawyer. So I don't know how that would affect a law suit. I'm guessing it would not help.

otiswrath t1_j06mopx wrote

Please don't be condescending. I am well aware of how wells work.

They said they ran them at the inspection but there could be a few things going on here like the builder used a tanker to dump a few hundred gallons down the well or the water table in the area is not suitable at that depth to support the number of houses they built in the development.

Doug_Shoe t1_j06nu4t wrote

I highly doubt that the builder used a tanker to dump water in the well. I would think that would be fraud rising to the level of a crime. But maybe I'm naive. Maybe that sort of thing does happen.

Yeah the water table might not be suitable. But "suitable" is subjective. Early settlers to the area would likely be fine with that amount of water (gallons per minute). A person with a well can't expect to use infinite amounts of water. You have to learn to live with what you have. If you dig another well, or improve the one you have etc there will still be limits. These are the realities.

I don't know (but suspect) that the buyer was given a reasonably accurate water test listing the gallons per minute from the well. If not, and if the test was faked, (and as you said tanker water dumped into the well to deceive etc) then I would want people to go to jail. Such things should not be allowed under penalty of law. But you would know more about that than me. -as far as what realistically could happen in a case like that.

---------------------------

General contractors, etc need licenses. If there was fraud like we're talking about here then those should be taken away. IMHO

−1

otiswrath t1_j06orok wrote

First off, you don't need a license in NH to be a contractor.

Second, it seems like multiple people in the development are running into the same issue which points to it being a bigger issue than "these folks use too much water".

These people came here asking for some help and you see oddly intent on blaming them.

Doug_Shoe t1_j07xtvz wrote

I've said multiple times that I don't know what is going on here.

Nope not blaming anyone.

I am suggesting someone check out the situation before jumping to conclusions. Looking at the claimed gallons per minute in that well test might be a start.

Also, personally, I wouldn't accuse contractors of fraud, crimes, and various felonies sans evidence. But that's just me.

But yes, you're right. Seems to be a whole development. The more info that comes out in the comments, the more it seems to me there is a problem with the house itself. Now the person has said his well is 1000 feet deep. If I had known that from the beginning, my comments here would have been different. Didn't I say "not enough info" from the first? Oh yeah. I did.

Doug_Shoe t1_j086k6l wrote

>First off, you don't need a license in NH to be a contractor.

Half true. You are a lawyer. You should know these things.

That is what you claimed, right?

otiswrath t1_j08a5jn wrote

Lol. Ok...are we still doing a thing?

No license needed to be a contractor in NH, that is correct.

Literally anyone can claim to be a builder. Not sure what you mean by half true.

And yes, I have a law degree.

Doug_Shoe t1_j08v8yb wrote

Oh so no licenses needed for any of the building trades, and no licenses or state permissions of any kind to run a business? Good to know.

otiswrath t1_j0902i4 wrote

You need licenses for plumbing and electric but carpenters/contractors are no license required. What a lot of guys do is take on jobs and then sub out the technical stuff to licensed and insured plumbers and electricians.

If you run a business as a sole proprietorship then you don't need an EIN or to register with the secretary of state unless you want to set up an LLC.

To be clear, this is not any sort of legal advice and you should always do your own research or hire an attorney if you have actual questions. Don't just take the word of random people on the Internet.

Doug_Shoe t1_j090ieu wrote

I'm not. Trust me on that one.

That's part of it. Keep going.

My point was that if a claimed business is a scam that the state can shut it down. I wasn't buying your conspiracy theory. But if what you said were true, then the business should be shut down IMO.