Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Berkwaz t1_j13nbsg wrote

Does this mean they found something that works better/cheaper and is actually worse? Wouldn’t surprise me.

Viking603 t1_j13v6n8 wrote

"The company did not respond to questions from NHPR about how they define PFAS chemicals, and whether newer replacements like GenX chemicals are included."

movdqa t1_j1561cn wrote

Gore-Tex has found another process to waterproof stuff but I've heard anecdotally that it doesn't work as well. So there is other stuff out there. I don't know if it is damaging or not.

figment1979 t1_j13nsec wrote

Great first step, now compensate everybody with health issues and contaminated property.

woolsocksandsandals t1_j13vbai wrote

Literally the entire world is contaminated with this shit. They’re finding it in unsafe levels in rainwater all over the world.

glitteryunicornlady t1_j149xge wrote

They are starting to. I know someone who is a part of the suit.

razor_sharp_pivots t1_j14t72m wrote

Compensating everyone effected by this would put 3M out of business.

glitteryunicornlady t1_j14vltf wrote

Ha, yeah that's for sure. I'm not sure of the details, but recently learned from someone that they are involved in a suit against them.

smartest_kobold t1_j135qzr wrote

For fifty years they've known it's toxic and not going to degrade in the environment, but good for them.

sndtech t1_j14a3eo wrote

Much like lead in paint or asbestos fireproofing, it works really well and replacements never quite do the job as well.

smartest_kobold t1_j14eq2a wrote

Yeah, there's a lot of compounds that are really useful if you don't consider the health or environmental effects.

fistofthefuture t1_j14b175 wrote

> 3M says they’ll stop manufacturing the chemicals by the end of 2025

Little late for high fives on this one fellas. Enjoy your PFAS for two more years.

PoorInCT t1_j16ot5w wrote

It took 25 years to make GE clean up the Hudson River and some of the Housatonic. They threatened NY with massive layoffs if the state forced them into a clean up. ('75)

They threatened and actually did move their corporate HQ from NY.

They spent over a hundred million on an information campaign to convince people there were no problems...then the message became that all the harmful chemicals were deep under river sediment. This occurred while testing showed sky high pcb concentrations in fish and birds.

When that message failed the message became dredging will make it worse. There were giant road signs with pictures of dredging crane buckets dumping mud.

They claimed they were working on bacteria to digest the PCBs.

Eventually they were forced to do a significant clean up effort under the Bush administration with the former governor of New Jersey heading the EPA. Irony of ironies.....it was that bad.

nullcompany t1_j19b6n0 wrote

keep on donating plasma, force your numbers down a little bit

YouAreHardtoImagine t1_j19g7v9 wrote

NH had the highest pediatric cancer rate in the COUNTRY from 2003-14. And a cancer cluster was confirmed on the seacoast shortly after. All of this was linked to PFAS. It honestly surprises me we haven’t done more about this.