Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

MattFantastic t1_j7r7ngw wrote

Edit: we’re open again as of Friday morning! Boiler is running and we’re inspected and clear. Yay!

(I’m gonna repost what I just put in another thread…)

Thankfully the damage was minimal, right now the hold up is getting the repairs/new boiler inspected and signed off on. We should be back at it in a day or two. Hopefully.

It certainly sucks, but we’re just so happy no one got hurt and the damage wasn’t crazy. Things could have been way way worse, and being closed for a week isn’t that bad in context. Plus everyone has been so kind and supportive, from the gaming community to neighbors to the fire department and everyone else, we’ve gotten so many good vibes.

mlassoff t1_j7uakrh wrote

Hey Matt! Glad to hear the damage was minimal. Once you guys are going again I’ll stop in to say Hello!

falafelfella t1_j7qd6hy wrote

This is u/mattfantastic ‘s spot?? You good? Our cafe was hit with a fire recently too.

MattFantastic t1_j7r81db wrote

We’re all doing ok. It’s not ideal, but there is a bright side to look at for sure. And fortunately we’re in a position where we’ve been able to keep paying everyone for shifts while we’re closed so thankfully it hasn’t been too much of a disruption in people’s lives.

Ambartenen t1_j7s9t9b wrote

If every CEO handled things like you (regarding paying your staff during closure) the world would be a much, much better place.

I wish I could express how deeply incredible I find you and this information. I teared up a little. Holding my daughters hand right now and hoping she grows up in a world where your actions are considered the “norm”.

Thank you.

MattFantastic t1_j7udoba wrote

Aww damn, thanks for saying that. I agree that the world could be a lot better than it is if people would just be kind to each other. It feels good to hear stuff like this, but it’s also kind of a bummer that just being decent to your employees is considered noteworthy.

flyingfred1027 t1_j7rc220 wrote

Glad no one was hurt. I hope you guys are up and running soon!

Gabbydog16 t1_j7qgy64 wrote

What is happening! Why are there so many fires lately!

MochaUnicorn369 t1_j7rzzhk wrote

Arson for the one on Bishop near state a couple weeks ago

brewski t1_j7ufed6 wrote

"Players were in the middle of a Magic: The Gathering and a pre-release tournament when the store’s boiler caught fire..."

ExplosiveToast19 t1_j7s58ig wrote

Happy it’s only temporarily, New Haven needs a friendly local game store

Vraxartifice t1_j7qyxlg wrote

This is a great business. That’s awful.

sc00p401 t1_j7ruvo7 wrote

It's been a while since I lived in the New Haven area so I'm not familiar with this shop. The one I remember downtown from waaay back is Alternate Universe.

MattFantastic t1_j7s8psb wrote

AU is still going strong!

They’re mostly comics though, and we send lots of people their way. We’ve been buds long before ECG was a thing and one of our staff is the niece of one of the AU dudes so it’s nothing but love over here.

thepianoman456 t1_j7tlb0v wrote

Oh that sucks. Hope no one was injured, and I hope they didn’t loose any board games!!

jphazed t1_j7ua060 wrote

Very HAPPY to see your'e all intact, and that no one was hurt.