Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

13_0_0_0_0 t1_j8x2ix1 wrote

Yup, that smell. Plus I noticed some crazy white stuff on the roads all day yesterday that looked like road salt, except obviously they weren't laying down salt for 50-70 degree weather.

Of course locals in Ohio aren't getting a straight answer, I doubt we'll even get sideways glance by officials this far away.

ItsAllMyAlt t1_j8xfu9c wrote

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. If CT is feeling the effects, that means a ton of other states besides OH are too. Politicians everywhere should be shouting from the rooftops about this, and I suspect those that won’t do so receive financial support from Norfolk Southern.

13_0_0_0_0 t1_j8xjw3c wrote

> The squeaky wheel gets the grease in election years.

Fixed that for you.

NoHopeOnlyDeath t1_j8xgfnn wrote

Deposits on people's cars after the rain all over the state today too, plus poor air quality reports from PA to NH. 15 years from now when 1200 people get cancer we'll hear about it again.

blacklung990 t1_j8xglbc wrote

You know what, I noticed what looked like salt when walking yesterday, too. I didn't think too much of it, there wasn't a lot and figured it was just left over. What do you think it could have been other than salt?

13_0_0_0_0 t1_j8xjud9 wrote

Residual chemicals from Ohio. It's not far-fetched to think considering we had ash residue in CT all the way from Mt St Helens.

autumn--blaze t1_j8y7zr0 wrote

Woah I saw white stuff on my road yesterday & thought it was odd that there was salt on the roads. Never considered it could be from the Ohio rail disaster. I actually had my windows open for several hours yesterday because it was so warm. Yikes!!

mikethemoose35 t1_j8yhs6p wrote

Fwiw, Connecticut DEEP says it’s not from Ohio, as the winds are coming up from the southwest. This article says it could be dust from Oklahoma maybe?

https://www.wfsb.com/2023/02/17/questions-raised-over-mysterious-soot-like-residue-that-accumulated-vehicles/

Edit: The article also posits that the derailment happened a few weeks ago, so the atmospheric pollution should have dissipated by now

Smokeshow-Joe OP t1_j8yk9xu wrote

The derailment happened 2 weeks ago- lighting it on fire was Monday or Tuesday of this week.

mikethemoose35 t1_j8ylaxf wrote

You could be right, but the wind direction would have to be correct as well. Check the article—channel 3 updates it w/NOAA meteorologists who say it’s from the dust storm

buried_lede t1_j8y2stb wrote

NOAA models show Ohio poison clouds arriving here. People all over New England are reporting the same thing and spots all over their cars

https://www.ready.noaa.gov/hypubout/22397_cloop.gif

https://www.ready.noaa.gov/hypub-bin/hyresults.pl

These are models and the result of inputs. I’m on my phone and unable to pinpoint more about the data at the moment

bingybunny t1_j8y6wqe wrote

well, that shit is clearly headed right for us

buried_lede t1_j8yf21h wrote

Models and like I said, not pinpointed yet, but the weather radar in any weather app today shows the clouds overhead rt now came from there, and that is confirmed.