Submitted by grantvoyager t3_124y575 in newhaven

Can anyone recommend a physical therapist in the New Haven area that does good work on lower back issues and focuses on manual therapy?

I’ve previously used Amity Physical Therapy in Hamden, but found that you only spent 10 minutes per session with the actual PT. Hoping to find someplace that offers more 1:1 time, even if it means a higher expense per session.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

WholeComparison130 t1_je1hve2 wrote

I’ve had a good experience with CT Orthopedics at their Hamden office. My issue was fairly minor so I don’t think I got as much hands on time but seemed like folks with more intense problems got more 1:1 time

PercyBluntz t1_je1iax2 wrote

I’m a PT in the area but I work in pediatrics and am new to town so don’t have recommendations. Except that a PT that focuses mainly on manual therapy is probably not a great PT. Manual therapy is a small piece of the puzzle. Exercise and lifestyle changes are the true best methods for low back stuff. Feel free to ask me questions I’d be happy to help in any way I can!

GunsouBono t1_je1w24v wrote

Years ago my wife worked at Amity while she was taking classes... Can confirm, they're not that great. They had doing a lot of things that only a licensed person should be doing. Things that could cause permanent damage if done incorrectly.

Unfortunately however, the majority of PT ortho practices which take insurance are about churning through as many patients as possible. My wife did orthopedics and was seeing 14 patients per day. By the time you factor in notes, checking people in, lunch, etc. 10 minutes is close to normal which really tells you how shitty our healthcare system is.

My recommendation if you can afford it would be to look for a cash based practice. From what I've seen in the industry, cash based seems to be a bit better for spending time with patients. I can't remember the name of the place, but there is a practice on Whitney Ave in Hamden in a shared office run by husband and wife team who are cash based.

reneewellsaid t1_je2fzvo wrote

IvyRehab is fantastic I just finished up sessions for TMJ there!

nerbm t1_je2y0be wrote

Kieth Steigbigel at Prolete PT helped both my wife and I with chronic and acute injuries. He's also faculty in the PT/OT program at Quinnepiac. Best PT I've ever met (and I've met my share...)

DeskFan203 t1_jeayyhx wrote

I've been to Amity for 2 different body parts, years apart. My husband's been to PTSMC on and off over the years. The 2 PTs I saw at Amity for issue 1 left for other jobs at almost the same time right before I was through with treatment, which was a little bizarre. Issue 2 I saw one of the owners, who knows his stuff. I've heard from other past patients that Amity seems to churn through new grads. OTOH my husband's 1st PT at PTSMC only stayed a few years too.

Both Amity and PTSMC are run the same way--where you see the PT for a chunk of your session, and then the PTAs do everything else. If your A is in PT school and are working as an A for experience, then you might be OK. Most of those are good and take what they do seriously. If they are a career A, YMMV. Some are barely a step up from the people working the desk at the gym.

In my 2 different body part experiences at Amity, I saw the PTs longer than 10 mins but that's because I needed more involved treatment that the As couldn't touch.

Just my 5 cents lol. Good luck!