Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

brewski t1_ixyvpix wrote

Sorry to say it, but those two "very boring dogs" are severely limiting your options. I don't have hard days to back this up, but I would presume that much fewer than half of rentals allow dogs. Two dogs even less so. That's why you're finding it difficult.

princess-guard t1_ixyxw6s wrote

I’ve never had a hard time renting with pets.

Eta not to say it isn’t hard, but it’s not impossible. The properties available drop, but if you can afford pet deposit / rent it doesn’t have to be an issue

Songolo t1_ixz0osf wrote

Good for you.
More than half of the listings are "no pets", and then there are the no dogs, small-dogs only and "send me a picture of your cat I'll think about it".

princess-guard t1_ixz0vpc wrote

It’s worth mentioning that we used a paid application to apply to multiple Zillow listings. It was affordable in January, I’m sure it’ll go up next yr.

No-Sun8788 OP t1_ixz506u wrote

Honestly its not the dogs, we've found tons of properties that are OK with them. One is 7 lbs and the other is a senior lab that sleeps all day. Even 'no pet' rentals have made exceptions, but we're getting sniped.

vertigounconscious t1_ixzwvx5 wrote

you're getting sniped because when a landlord has to pick between two very nice families trying to rent their property, and one family doesn't have dogs, they win. Doesn't matter what you're being told, it's just something working against you. People will tell you what you want to hear after the fact.

No-Sun8788 OP t1_iy0ndxv wrote

Oh well, I guess that will happen again, because I'm not going to get rid of my dogs. I am aware that they complicate things.

vertigounconscious t1_iy0vprd wrote

I don't think anyone expects you to get rid of your dogs but I think trying to get places that are desirable/new/in certain areas is a longshot and for you to say 'it's not the dogs' is just not going to help you

catsmash t1_iy43kdb wrote

conversely, do you think it IS especially helpful to keep hammering it on OP that they're having difficulty because of the dogs? like yeah, no kidding dude. what's OP supposed to do about that exactly?

vertigounconscious t1_iy4ijgx wrote

OP came to the internet completely unaware of why OP is unable to score apartments in a highly competitive market. More so, they did it 'just to complain' so, at best, the post is asinine anyway, given that this person is complaining on the internet and you're expecting the internet to coddle them and sympathize. They aren't even looking for help, according to their post, saying it's 'rhetorical'. Then to have you white knight for them, when again, at best this post is asinine and I would even label this person as insanely foolish to be renting small apartments, in a metropolitan area that is more competitive than average, and to have two dogs - that need outdoor, open spaces - and expect anything more than what they're getting here - which is a minor brow beating to this point. So if they're here for rhetoric, and complaining, then you're going to get equal amounts on both sides. The internet doesn't exist just to tell people what they want to hear. Don't be naive.

−1

No-Sun8788 OP t1_iy0yna7 wrote

ah. I already understand that having pets limits my rental choices. Fortunately I am not looking for new, trendy, or good schools. Just affordable for a year or so while we wait to shop for a more permanent solution.

chemtiger8 t1_iy3bdwy wrote

It’s not even the “new” and “trendy” apartments with pet limitations, unfortunately. From my observations (maybe other people have more evidence or know the justification behind it), it seems landlords in the New Haven area are just really against pets. Like really against pets. I am told that my previous landlord tried to evict a tenant for having an unauthorized cat.

EscapeFromTexas t1_iy6xfkt wrote

Honestly if you look at their target rental pool (college kids) I can understand a blanket pet ban.