Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Songolo t1_j4dhr7k wrote

But New Haven is a nice little city, no doubts!

My doubts come from the fact, that in the entire world (but even just USA +EU) I find hard to think New Haven has the right to be in the best 50 places to travel in 2023.

curbthemeplays OP t1_j4djd12 wrote

I mean, I’ve traveled everywhere and had some of the best art and food experiences in NHV. I think some of it may be due to the accessibility. Especially for their core readership. Also, good chance a lot of NY’ers discovered it due to Covid, and many write for the Times.

One way to look at it, many cities and places on this list have been overlooked and aren’t typical choices. So it doesn’t seem THAT out of place. Good lists uncover hidden gems that wouldn’t normally be found. NHV (and CT in general) are great examples of places with hidden gems that are great to discover.

Another way to look at it: many popular tourist destinations weren’t always popular. Some were even in disrepair and economic ruin. As places get discovered, momentum of interest makes them better places to visit as investments are made. There is great momentum for New Haven to become one of the best small cities to visit in the US.

HartfordResident t1_j4qeimk wrote

Agree. Sometimes the best things are right in front of your face and you are too myopic to realize it.