Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

editorgrrl t1_j48zdyz wrote

>52 Places to Go in 2023

>#50 New Haven, CT
> A home to tinkerers and rebels, and a treasure trove of contemporary art and architecture

>Connecticut’s third-largest city is a historic, mostly walkable and bikeable seaside town with distinctive neighborhoods, an encyclopedic collection of great American architecture, a thriving cultural life and one of the best food scenes in the country for a city of its size (134,000).

>Founded in 1638, it’s a place where people have always tinkered with, mused about, and challenged the status quo, which is why the New Haven Preservation Trust is now looking at saving the modernist buildings of the 1970s, which many see as disastrous examples of urban renewal. Discover one of the best of these brutalist concrete buildings by checking into the new Hotel Marcel, named for its architect, Marcel Breuer. Recently renovated, it’s become the first completely solar-powered, energy-neutral hotel in the United States.

>Check out NXTHVN, a cutting-edge, community-focused arts center founded in 2019 in two abandoned factory buildings in the Dixwell neighborhood that has become the heart of a vibrant African American artists’ community. And then treat yourself to a great meal—maybe crispy artichokes with Parmesan aioli and pork belly with Tuscan cabbage and apple mostarda—at the recently opened Villa Lulu.

wal9000 t1_j49trq6 wrote

> seaside town

Technically true but also not a description I would ever use to describe New Haven

riotousviscera t1_j4b0loy wrote

more like "soundside," but I guess that doesn't have the same ring to it ¯\(ツ)

hamhead t1_j4bu4ch wrote

It’s not just that. It’s that nothing in New Haven really happens on the water.

green_lemonade t1_j4bulte wrote

Sound or sea, we're completely cut off from the water by the interstates. Apparently we used to have a massive park on the water in wooster sq.

wal9000 t1_j4c0sh9 wrote

Unless you like a 40 minute walk on sidewalks covered with broken glass to go visit food trucks that are near some watery rocks and mud

green_lemonade t1_j4cq7i7 wrote

Not to mention some of the worst litter and local noise/air pollution from all the generators!

Other cities with big food truck scenes have put up power hookups and larger trash receptacles. We could do better for sure.

Tacos are top notch though lol

woah-im-colin t1_j4d5hei wrote

I adore New Haven and all that is offered and while I agree it deserves its spot, seaside I agree is quite misleading. Harborside, although not nearly as serene sounding for readers, sums up New Haven’s costal amenities quite well.

curbthemeplays OP t1_j4cqyh7 wrote

Probably should’ve mentioned the New Haven area has great shoreline areas. New Haven’s are limited. City Point, Lighthouse Park, etc are nice but the region has some real gems. From the Audubon Center in Milford all the way to Hammonasset for New Haven County.

reneewellsaid t1_j4n9nhd wrote

I went to Villa Lulu over the weekend and it was SO GOOD. And the service was amazing. I highly recommend.

Songolo t1_j4az3z0 wrote

Yeah sure. I think one of the writers is remembering fondly his college years.

curbthemeplays OP t1_j4cqqq2 wrote

Or it’s just a nice little city. Both things can be true.

Songolo t1_j4dhr7k wrote

But New Haven is a nice little city, no doubts!

My doubts come from the fact, that in the entire world (but even just USA +EU) I find hard to think New Haven has the right to be in the best 50 places to travel in 2023.

curbthemeplays OP t1_j4djd12 wrote

I mean, I’ve traveled everywhere and had some of the best art and food experiences in NHV. I think some of it may be due to the accessibility. Especially for their core readership. Also, good chance a lot of NY’ers discovered it due to Covid, and many write for the Times.

One way to look at it, many cities and places on this list have been overlooked and aren’t typical choices. So it doesn’t seem THAT out of place. Good lists uncover hidden gems that wouldn’t normally be found. NHV (and CT in general) are great examples of places with hidden gems that are great to discover.

Another way to look at it: many popular tourist destinations weren’t always popular. Some were even in disrepair and economic ruin. As places get discovered, momentum of interest makes them better places to visit as investments are made. There is great momentum for New Haven to become one of the best small cities to visit in the US.

HartfordResident t1_j4qeimk wrote

Agree. Sometimes the best things are right in front of your face and you are too myopic to realize it.

twoshovels t1_j4c3rl1 wrote

For sure new haven may have declined some depending on who you talk to but the amount of “things “ that has come from NH over time is incredible!