Submitted by Proof_Buy7675 t3_10pajto in newhaven

Looking to move to new haven. The big no for me is how hard it would be to get back home to visit my family. So I’m looking to either go to Bradley or LaGuardia for a flight back to my hometown. What I didn’t consider is how difficult it could be to get from the train station to the airport in NYC itself so now I am looking at options from Bradley. I was wondering about what would be the best way to get to Bradley airport from New Haven. It looks like Lyft can be $75 so I was wondering if there was a train or other method? Or for those who drive what is the car park options

To clarify my family lives in the Midwest. I could at least get to Chicago and then go from there

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

XDserpa t1_j6j994x wrote

3 options,

1.fly from tweed (hope avelo has your destination)

1. Train from union station to union station (like 10 to 15 bucks), then bus ride over (1.75 or so)

2. Uber or Lyft

Be aware that the train doesn't run late

twiddlingmy2thumbs t1_j6j9ekk wrote

Its about 50 minute drive between new haven and bradley so yeah lyft is expensive.

Car parking is very convenient with lots of nearby third-party lots. Ive personally used the Parking Spot many times and its very accessible with a valet or self-park options. It is about a 5 min or so drive away from the airport

I would also look into New Haven’s Tweed airport. Avelo airlines is continually adding in new cities so be sure to stay updated with that!

CTRealtorCarl t1_j6ja0he wrote

So I used to do the public transportation route or have someone drop me off.

Now I pretty much exclusively fly out of LGA and always drive my own car and park in one of the off site lots with a free shuttle. Use the website "Airport Parking Reservations" which will search all of the lots and usually a few have deals.

It will cost about ~$15/day and the best part is the convenience imo. Park get on shuttle go to plane, land get on shuttle get in your own car and drive home. No struggling with Uber drivers who don't want to drive that far or rushing to get on a train etc.

The savings along on flying out of LGA instead of Bradley make it worth it. At least that has always been the case for my destinations.

EmuBoth t1_j6jb2bh wrote

and if you can't do Tweed new haven nonstop then you might still be able to fly your hometown on Southwest into BWI, raleigh, or nashville and then change for new haven on aVelo. oh you said chicago They some days fly Chicago-newhaven non stop.

Hot_Pear t1_j6jcro9 wrote

If you do LaGuardia, not sure if you’re aware of the option to train to Harlem at 125th St. and take the M60 bus (half a block away) for the price of a subway ticket. I think they run every 10-15 minutes or so and makes it to LGA in less than half an hour. I prefer it to the expensive airport shuttle from Grand Central, and cheaper than taking a shuttle direct from New Haven

yakayaka456 t1_j6jdjhc wrote

What I’ve done in the past

1. take the CT rails Springfield line. Scheduled a pickup with Lyft at the Windsor Locks station at the time that the train is supposed to be in. Then it’s like a 10 min drive to Bradley. This only works if there’s train times that work with your flight. We’ve also parked at BDL and the parking wasn’t that expensive.

2. fly out of LGA: take Metro North but get off at Harlem 125th, get into a cab downstairs and cross the RFK bridge. It’s only about a 20 min drive or less.

3. there’s also Newark, you can take the amtrak northeast corridor straight to Newark Airport then you take a tram to the terminal. We did this for international flight and it was a long day, but better than driving tbh.

elmcityboy t1_j6jhepq wrote

newark airport (ewr) has its own amtrak stop on the northeast corridor, with frequent service from new haven. if you book your amtrak ticket when you book your plane ticket, you can get there directly for fairly cheap ($20-ish) from union station in new haven. from the ewr stop, you just take the airtrain tram to your terminal.

it's the easiest transit-to-airport connection in the area, although the windsor locks option to bradley is workable and so are the queens airports.

buried_lede t1_j6jjyln wrote

I had no idea Amtrak went straight to Newark. They should all have that. Very cool

Ecofre-33919 t1_j6jr6kq wrote

Bdl is pretty easy. Take the train and then a cab or use one of the off airport shuttle services to park.

Nyc airports are not so bad. If i drive - for lga - there is a garage that national has with a shuttle service. Thats pretty good. Or yeah - metro north to 125 st and then take the m20 bus to lga. If you go via jfk - either take a shuttle from grand central, or - if not much luggage - grandcentral to subway to airtrain. Ewr - newark - take the train as close as you can then uber the rest of the way. All 3 big nyc airports have good off airport garages - call around for rates. And make your reservation in advance! Don’t drive there and assume they will have a soot open.

Westchester airport is another option if you ever see a deal - you’d drive and park on site. Trains don’t go near it. You’d have to take an uber from stamford area - that would be a long ride.

If avelo goes there from tweed - that might be your best bet if times work out for you.

Other than that - i’d really focus on bradley. Between the off airport parking and the train - it be your easiest.

justalilchili t1_j6jv7cm wrote

They just cut back their Chicago schedule, I wouldn’t be so sure the route is safe. It was supposed to resume in March and now won’t be back until mid-May. And they’re only flying Mondays and Fridays 🙄

I had a Wednesday flight for early May that was cut and they haven’t even emailed me to let me know, which is just unacceptable.

I’ve had positive experiences till now with Avelo but it’s really left a sour taste in my mouth.

memsies t1_j6jw9yj wrote

Avelo flys to midway. It's a pain to have to drive a few hours home, but it is by far going to be your cheapest option in terms of flights

RonnieJamesDiode t1_j6jzx5u wrote

It's far and away the most convenient as far as access goes--Amtrak goes right to the (free) (maybe not see below) AirTrain which is like a 5 minute ride to the terminal.

But... It's EWR. It's earned a reputation as one of the worst airports in the country. Almost 1 in 3 flights are delayed, and they've got the longest average delay in the nation. Meanwhile, despite or maybe because of how accessible it is the terminals are very small; I don't think I've ever been there when it wasn't packed to the gills (except for red-eyes in when nobody is at the airport at all). I still fly out of there, since it really is the cheapest and easiest to get to of all the major airports, but it will have its downsides too.

Timmyc62 t1_j6k81bv wrote

One more option is to use the Boston airport, and Amtrak your way there. You'll need only one bus from the Amtrak station to the Boston airport (Silver Line express bus). It's not necessarily better or worse than the other options, depending on how well the timings, train, and airfare work.

kkirchoff t1_j6kefk4 wrote

Try White Plains as well. It’s an easy Uber off Metro North.

basedmarimo t1_j6khwva wrote

The train from Union Station (New Haven) to Union Station (Hartford) is $8 flat one way! And buses are free still until May/June, which includes the shuttle bus from Hartford Union Station to Bradley. This has been my go-to route for cheapness since I exclusively fly Southwest and it works pretty well!

catiepleasee t1_j6kjoe8 wrote

If you choose to drive to Bradley, I highly recommend executive valet (now park n fly) they’re always cheap, provide a shuttle to and from the airport, and have your car started, cleaned off of any snow, and ready for you when you get home. I’m not much help for any other options though, sorry!

MochaUnicorn369 t1_j6l22b6 wrote

Avelo flies from New Haven to Midway. Amtrak goes from New Haven to Newark Airport - this is the lowest stress and cheapest option for getting to a NY airport. Bradley long term parking lots aren’t very expensive.

Ecofre-33919 t1_j6l4kbz wrote

That could be. And usually i think of it mainly for people using it for trips to florida and back. I only flew out of there once round trip to dc several years ago and had no issues. I mainly included it because it is in the area and you never know, there just might be a good deal once in a while to chicago. And it was nice not having to cross in to queens or over the gw and deal with all the traffic.

joywynter t1_j6l7008 wrote

Why!!! I noticed this!!! I moved to Chi last year and had taken a trip every few months relying on Avelo… then around November(ish) I noticed the flights just disappeared from end of Jan to April. Just checked again and it’s now May?! Why! I can’t find any info…

Westonsided t1_j6larvy wrote

As someone else said, if you book the amtrak ticket to Newark well ahead of time it can be a reasonable price; however if you don’t book enough ahead or you need to change the day/time last minute, be prepared to pay anywhere up to $80-110 for the 2 hour ride. On the other hand, the Metro-North only has two flat fee options: peak (commute times) or off-peak hours. You also can’t buy amtrak tickets while you’re on the train, whereas metro north tickets can be purchased on the app anytime and are not tied to a specific day or time.

To get to Newark, I’ve taken the amtrak once but I’ve also taken the metro-north to grand central and then the newark airport express bus straight to the airport. I had a good experience with the bus but I’ve heard it can be quite inconsistent.

I tend to fly out of JFK cause it usually has the cheapest direct flights to the west coast, but it does require taking the metro-north, two short subway rides, and the air train. It’s not the most convenient, but once you get it down it’s easy enough and the transit is always on time.

Bradley is super convenient if you take the train to Windsor Locks or catch a rideshare. You can even drive there if you’re going for a shorter trip cause you can get parking at BDL for like $6 a day.

daybeers t1_j6m2c5k wrote

I love how helpful my state is :) people talk shit about the northeast but I think we're s some of the nicest people in the country.

It's easy to catch the bus from Metro-North's Harlem-125th Street station to LGA.

Sometimes Amtrak can get expensive, so make sure to book early to EWR. There's also Newark Penn (neatly every train stops here) where you could catch an NJT train or bus to the airport. A budget trip would be Metro-North to Grand Central to a NJT bus, I think #60?

There are also frequent buses from Hartford's Union Station to Bradley. Better facilities than Windsor Locks with better accessibility. New station is in the works closer to town.

CTtransit 206 goes to and from the Tweed(sometimes you have to reach out to schedule a slight deviation, just a couple blocks) and the green, where you could connect with other buses and parking garages there or at Union.

Don't forget State Street for catching the Hartford Line, could be easier due to bus connections downtown.

All buses anywhere in the state are free through 3/31/23. Hope they extend it and improve the system; ridership has been great.

CallMeTDD t1_j6mmzwp wrote

I’m addition to train, Uber, etc, look at renting a car. I’ve done this a few times when going from New Haven to JFK. Rent the car in New Haven, and then return it at the airport. It ended up usually being the cheapest option.

Westonsided t1_j6nipuh wrote

I usually take the 6 to 51st, then switch to the E at Lexington Ave/53rd St. The E ends up at Sutphin Blvd/JFK, so from there it’s a quick walk to the airtrain.

It is a long trip but ubers can be really expensive and nyc traffic can be unpredictable, so I just stick to the public transit.

curbthemeplays t1_j6pk006 wrote

I believe Avelo starts flights to Chicago Midway from Tweed New Haven starting in May.