Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

cmacdcz t1_j9p5aw9 wrote

Have you ever tried to drive to the cell phone lot? I swear it might only be a half mile as the crow flies, but the spaghetti layout of the streets makes it a ridiculously long drive.

peter-doubt t1_j9q2woa wrote

The interchange between 1&9, 22, 21, 78 and the turnpike should fill you with delight, then. I add 4 miles to my trip because I need to follow their roundabout to avoid a roundabout.

Some highway engineers should be lined up against a wall....

cmacdcz t1_j9q5dd8 wrote

It is so confusing. I fly in a couple times a year. I need to head west on 78 and I swear I’m going in every possible direction before I get to 78 and then there’s a sudden left exit-only down to Newark. I’ve done that a few times also.

JimTheJerseyGuy t1_j9r016l wrote

I used to be in and out of Newark all the time. Knew the way to 78 West like the back of my hand. One day, I blinked at the wrong time and wound up in downtown Newark.

thrillhouse614 t1_j9ruoho wrote

That sign leaving the terminals, It’s got 78, 22, 21, 1+9, Turnpike, Newark, Clinton, New York…maybe more. It’s impossible to figure out while driving without coming to a complete stop in the middle of the road.

Ballgame4 t1_j9tb6bb wrote

Going slowly to try and figure out which lane to be in will likely get you rear-ended or at the very least given the finger.

multigrimlok t1_j9qy249 wrote

Yeah, pretty much, unless you’re going to Newark, stay in the right lanes of 78 until you cross route 21

peter-doubt t1_j9r8k4g wrote

You should see what it replaced... 1/9, 22, 21 had a traffic circle.... It's about 49 feet under the ramps, and obliterated.

They built the spaghetti to end traffic jams, and if you're there any weekday you can see that they failed... (Now they're expansive traffic jams)

ctannr t1_j9sgjcf wrote

pepperidge farms remembers when we didn't have direct ramps to/from the parkway and had to take Lyons ave like real gangsters

Ok-Bad7002 t1_j9pyoah wrote

Agreed. It was like 10 mins to get from the cell phone lot to a terminal and that's without traffic.

poofandmook t1_j9qh67g wrote

FFFFFFF that lot!! I had to go there to wait for my sister's flight to arrive, and I swear to God by the time I got there, she was texting me that she was through customs. I hate that airport. I ALMOST prefer when she flies from JFK but that ride is brutal traffic. The airport itself is 10x easier to navigate though.

nonamethxagain t1_j9rplqu wrote

Line up with the Uber drivers along the side of the road. Now that they put jersey barriers on that dirt patch triangle, that’s the best option. Although I have seen cars waiting on the dirt alongside the new barriers

ctannr t1_j9sggk3 wrote

lmao have u tried to drive to it before the new signs? it was a single 2x1' tiny sign on the left before terminal A. It was easier to just follow the signs to the Mariott. No one actually knew about the cell phone lot until a few years ago. My friends/family used to just do laps around the loop for a fuckin hour like talladega lmaooooo

cmacdcz t1_j9zkd2c wrote

Hi, it used the cell phone lot a couple times last summer. I’m not sure when the new signage went up. Years ago are used to go to the Marriott to drink a beer and park for free but now they charge.