Submitted by MurrDOC_ t3_125dkrj in newjersey

i’m currently looking for a house and it seems my only choices are irvington, jersey city, or newark. I am not from jersey but was wondering if any of y’all can give any info on irvington since that’s where i’m mostly leaning towards.

(i would get a cheaper interest rate on a loan for a house in essex county) from what i’ve read or seen i may just have to take the higher interest rate and live somewhere else. not sure where tho

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

hausfreek t1_je4q7ma wrote

If you like living in the real life set of “The Wire”, love high taxes paired with abysmal school system, understaffed police department and corruption galore… Irvington is the place for you.

LateNightNewYork t1_je3rpzt wrote

Depends on what your needs and budget are, but Irvington has the least amenities of the three you listed (small town, big pockets of underdeveloped, no train station).

Irvington has some nice quiet parts, but if you’re going to deal with urban issues, you might as well live in a larger city if the home prices are comparable.

Lsaxx t1_je3sn1y wrote

I don't know much about Irvington tbh, I grew up in Kearny so I'm familiar with Newark and Jersey City. I'd feel safest in North Newark (Branch Brook Park area) or in the Ironbound section in Newark imo. Jersey City has some decent spots too and public transportation is a easily accessible in both.

Early-Consequence-61 t1_je4iovl wrote

Why are those your options? I was just yelled at by a homeless lady at the drive thru there… I don’t think that’s where you want to be.

Comfortable_Ad_2577 t1_je4jhs5 wrote

There are many more options than that. Irvington is by far the worst

Laraujo31 t1_je4yzh4 wrote

The area by the Union and Maplewood borders are ok and by ok i mean you are on the outskirts of the terrible areas. I would absolutely stay away from the Newark/East Orange border. That area is basically a warzone. If you have kids, the school system in Irvington (JC and Newark as well) are terrible. Houses are cheaper in Irvington when compared to JC and Newark but that is for a good reason.

Smacpats111111 t1_je50ixu wrote

Jersey City- Some nice areas, some ok, some not great. Research.

Newark- Ironbound is ok I suppose

Irvington- no go zone during the day.

SputnikFace t1_je73ij1 wrote

The answer to this depends on where you live currently. All those towns are schizo in terms of economic makeup. Some people arent built for it and that's ok.

MurrDOC_ OP t1_je78w74 wrote

currently live in Los Angeles. looking for something better but looking for some place a lil nicer and quieter

free_acelehy t1_je7wo48 wrote

Irvington is kind of notorious. Perhaps it's on the upswing, that I do not know, but if it hasn't, I'd definitely pass on Irvington.

Original_Iripoet t1_jeac5qu wrote

Newark is on the rise personally i would say Newark for the long haul.