Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

sutisuc t1_iu4tagv wrote

The sad thing is NJ actually has much higher pay than most other states.

Jake_FromStateFarm27 t1_iu4yh7g wrote

Higher pay means nothing when everything is inflated. Same thing with California has been going on for ages, teachers there make 100k+ but the COL and everything else just costs too much to be sustainable. Teachers on average nationally have seen the lowest salary growth the past 30 if not 50 years. Teachers wages need to be substantially revamped as well as other sustainability programs that would help alleviate things from their budget i.e. maybe special housing loans similar to what vets get so teachers can actually teach in the communities they live affordably and not have to commute from over an hour away.

daedalus_was_right t1_iu5kfu4 wrote

Teachers in CA are not making 100k. A very, VERY select few individuals make over 100k but it is an extreme rarity. I'm on step 8 in my current district and am not close to 100k. I won't hit 100k until I have nearly 20 years in, and I'm in one of the highest paying districts in all of CA.

As someone else in this thread said, the fact that NJ/CA have some of the highest teacher salaries just means these states are the skinniest kids at fat camp.

sutisuc t1_iu62xl6 wrote

Yeah I think he missed my initial point lol

Jake_FromStateFarm27 t1_iu6zzf5 wrote

I get what you're saying in your main point. We are not only ranked no. 1 in the nation for public schools but also rank high for pay for teachers. What I'm saying is a flat number doesn't really mean much when you measure it against other variables like COL. What's the point in making 90k when rent goes up almost double in the course of a year for 10 years straight? If more than half your monthly income still goes towards rent even after pay raises, did you really get a pay raise when everything else around you is inflated. I get what you're saying and it is really sad that a great state like ours stills treats us teachers like shit. Imagine being repeatedly called Frontline heros but getting zero respect or benefits the entire pandemic and things actually only got worse for teachers?

daedalus_was_right t1_iu64k0e wrote

I think you're both saying pretty much the same thing actually; my comment was just meant to clarify the numbers.