Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Known_Tomato_3353 t1_itqnnj4 wrote

What?! That’s ridiculous!! You can go to the court and they’ll assign you a prosecutor which won’t cost anything - it’s worth a try

−2

throwaway2343576 t1_itqpf4r wrote

Um prosecutors prosecute. They work for the County and represent their interests, not the person who has the citation.

kailz7 OP t1_itqq6wr wrote

right but i have been to court before for a speeding ticket where the prosecutor lessened the charge so not sure if it would work similarly for an open container citation

_Ricky_Bobby_ t1_itt4zlk wrote

In nj municipal prosecutors work for the municipality not the county. Most municipal prosecutors in nj would be willing to offer downgrades in order to avoid trial but there needs to be something to downgrade it to that makes sense. For instance, almost any moving violation can be amended to unsafe operation of a motor vehicle (no points) because and moving violation would also be considered unsafe.

I don’t think there is anything that the prosecutor could really downgrade that to

kailz7 OP t1_itqom1h wrote

i know lol i was expecting the ticket to be around 100 tops

_Ricky_Bobby_ t1_itt3aez wrote

What is the statue on the ticket? If it is 39:4-51b your fine won’t be 400 it’ll be more like 200

oatmealparty t1_itroneo wrote

You can't get a public defender for a fine like this.

_Ricky_Bobby_ t1_itt44uz wrote

In nj you need to be facing a “consequence of magnitude” in order to be eligible for a public defender. Any case where you are facing a fine in excess of $800, loss of license, or jail is considered a case with a consequence of magnitude. An open container ticket for violating 39:4-51b would not be enough to qualify