Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Maximum-Excitement58 t1_iuexzhm wrote

>Anyone know for sure?

The only way to “know for sure” would be to collect data from every single person in the state and do the math yourself. Otherwise look at the time period cited and source/methodology and determine which web figure you like.

Part of your issue might be that “median” and “average” are two very different things. Which are you actually looking for? Also, are you looking for individual or household income?

tuggyforme t1_iuey8e2 wrote

I am looking for 'median' average specifically, as it gives a much more accurate idea of how much the average person makes.

the 'mean' average includes billionaires... they skew the number tremendously.

[deleted] OP t1_iueykq9 wrote

[deleted]

Newlawyermoney t1_iuezy5r wrote

Incorrect. Mean, median, and mode are all different ways of looking at average.

[deleted] OP t1_iuf0tv9 wrote

[deleted]

Newlawyermoney t1_iuf0wht wrote

[deleted] OP t1_iuf1sb3 wrote

[deleted]

Newlawyermoney t1_iuf212s wrote

I mean I’m not disagreeing that mean is usually synonymous with average. But median and mode are also types of average. See also the first sentences here: https://www.open.edu/openlearn/mod/oucontent/view.php?id=20669&section=2.1

[deleted] OP t1_iuf29d8 wrote

[deleted]

Newlawyermoney t1_iuf2uhb wrote

Maybe. Precision of language is important. But I take it you’re a college freshman? You have a lot to learn.

kittyglitther t1_iueybx8 wrote

tuggyforme t1_iueyp3p wrote

this claims the median income of a 'household' is $80,000.

I really have a hard time believing that. Sounds way too high considering nearly a half of working NJers live alone.. and are still counted as a "household."

kittyglitther t1_iueyz5q wrote

Too high compared to what?

tuggyforme t1_iuez2lm wrote

too high compared to what I see. Too high considering posted job salaries... everyone complaining about high rent taking up half their salaries.. all the people on subsidized housing and choosing to rent small places instead of buy... it doesn't make any sense.