Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Redditdotcomment t1_iue0i55 wrote

Sandy

Leftblankthistime OP t1_iue0uxc wrote

The Lardass provided little to-no help. Why give him a second thought over it?

Chris2112 t1_iuilmni wrote

I mean his handling of Sandy was easily the highlight of his career as governor. It was everything that followed, namely bridge gate and his subsequent attempts to salvage a 2016 presidency nomination that causes him to go out as hated as he did

Leftblankthistime OP t1_iuioru8 wrote

I wouldn’t say that- he was all show. His daily briefings with the power companies was just perception setting and there was no real policy setting as outcomes of policy for future events. No updates to infrastructure, communications gas supplies or anything like that. Other than getting in front of a microphone and going out to “survey the damage” he really didn’t do much. My power was out for a week and my fridge died when the power did come back on so I wasn’t as bad off as a lot of people - but I don’t think he did a good job at all

Chris2112 t1_iuir2tk wrote

But that's what being a politician is about during a crisis like that. Nothing he did could have fixed power faster but he actually took control of the situation rather than say, flying to Cancún where there's still power

Leftblankthistime OP t1_iuisad9 wrote

Upvote for the reference- and while I agree with the incident response, a real leader would have gone a step further to use some of the emergency response funding to prepare for the next emergency.

Algae-Ok t1_iueebre wrote

The gas prices are caused by a policy he implemented when he left

peter-doubt t1_iuetxq3 wrote

Please refresh our recollection

joe_digriz t1_iughwej wrote

About a year before he left office, he "negotiated" (read: did the Republican thing of shutting down parts of government - in this case, the Department of Transportation - until he got what he wanted) with the legislature both an immediate increase in the gas tax (over 20 cents/gal) and a reformulation of how it worked.

In addition to the base rate, which the tax cannot go below, it basically relies on two major factors - how much revenue it generated during the previous year, and how much it is projected to generate during the upcoming year. (There's also a small adjustment for inflation.) That formula then determines if the tax goes up or down from year-to-year, and by how much.

It was announced in Sept the gas tax would be about a penny less than it was last year, thanks to the increase in driving as people are trying to move past the pandemic, but that still puts us just outside the top-10 for gas tax as compared to other states.

Algae-Ok t1_iuhu7yl wrote

Also it was kinda of a exchange where they raised the gas prices and reduced the sales tax on certain retail items. It was weirdly done because we all knew that money would not go back to the roads to be fixed.

joe_digriz t1_iuhxu6w wrote

Oh, right, I forgot about the sales tax part. And the "don't worry, the funds are *constitutionally protected* from being used for anything but the Transportation Trust Fund" thing. Right, because that's really stopped them from reallocating (excuse me... "borrowing") the funds before.

peter-doubt t1_iugi9vg wrote

If I recall we were near the top 10 almost forever.

hopopo t1_iueks1j wrote

Pre election Dog Whistling

Leftblankthistime OP t1_iueln2d wrote

He’s not running for anything

beeps-n-boops t1_iuf9xdl wrote

They keep letting that fat sack of congealed failure on TV.

_TommySalami t1_iug60za wrote

The big mouth blowhard won't go away, after humiliating himself... now he's trying to claw his way back to relevancy.

Leftblankthistime OP t1_iuhcxa9 wrote

He had the lowest approval rating of any governor anywhere ever - especially in his last year. Between almost going to jail and throwing his cabinet members under the bus over bridge gate and his lack of delivery of literally everything he planned to do (fixing taxes, fixing education, fixing transportation etc.) - even Trump wouldn’t go anywhere near him even after he went and kissed the ring. I’m shocked that anyone is thinking about him - even republicans