Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Chrisproulx98 t1_ixffpxp wrote

Yes. In NJ we are a no fault state meaning they often don't want to assign blame. The insurance company then assigns blame which often results in partial blame even if you don't feel you had any blame. This can reduce the amount they will pay you for damages.

OceanAvenue187 OP t1_ixfh8fo wrote

My insurance said the other car is to blame. Just really disappointed with the way the police handled it.

No-Wishbone-8922 t1_ixfq9i3 wrote

You don’t even need a police report for insurance. I’ve been rear ended and we just let our insurances handle it, the other guy’s insurance paid for everything.
Do you have the other driver’s info tho?

OceanAvenue187 OP t1_ixfqr1r wrote

Really? That’s interesting. The police had to call Enterprise to get the information.

RippingAallDay t1_ixgrzw7 wrote

Just chiming in to say the same thing: I was rear ended in late 2012 (relatively minor accident) & insurance just handled it completely.

CliffLanterns t1_ixh286c wrote

Also want to add I've been in an accident with no police report (minor parking lot hit). I also work in the collision industry and work closely with insurance companies. They definitely prefer a police report but they are not necessary; it's mainly to verify who's at fault from what I've been told.

poland626 t1_ixgvcsp wrote

I bet they're lying though. Let the insurance handle it

demwoodz t1_ixfv4zo wrote

Is this the first time you’ve been disappointed by the police? Not to sound judgmental of you but kind of the reality of most people. Thanks m glad you and your kids are safe and I’m sorry this happened to you guys.

RedForman1776 t1_ixg63xq wrote

This is a misconception. No fault only pertains in injuries not property damage (auto claims rep for 5+ years). It doesn’t reduce how much they pay for damages unless you are going 3rd party. Your own carrier will make you “whole” again by repairing or paying the value of the vehicle minus your deductible if the vehicle is totaled. The other carrier my not offer to pay for 100% of the damage based on their investigation.

Chrisproulx98 t1_ixg8sgi wrote

I respect your experience but I recall being squeezed by the adjuster who was trying to squeeze some of the blame out of my compensation.

Dozzi92 t1_ixh5pe8 wrote

A rear-end hit will almost certainly result in liability going 100% to the car in the rear, unless there's some incontrovertible proof that OP did something ridiculous, and then even then it'd only shift partially.

That being said, driver fled, hopefully OP has UM/UIM.