Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

sutisuc t1_ixsywvk wrote

I hope by “walkable” you don’t mean a suburban cul de sac

kzapwn t1_ixszm75 wrote

What is the definition of walkable

sutisuc t1_ixt1n0q wrote

I think you should start with your definition then we can go from there.

kzapwn t1_ixt2kpm wrote

I’m thinking nice safe places to walk with some scenery along the way possibly. If you mean walkability in terms of transportation instead of cars then yes it’s not as good as nyc in some areas

sutisuc t1_ixt39sn wrote

Yeah that’s more just walking as recreation or leisure which also exists in nyc but generally “walkable” means able to meet some or all of your daily needs within walking distance of your home such as employment, grocery stores, restaurant, entertainment, etc.

kzapwn t1_ixt46ik wrote

Ah okay I see. Although wouldn’t that be canceled out by NYC being about as drivable as NJ is walkable? Manhattan at least. Like you can walk to the grocery store there but you have to walk with a weeks worth of food piled up in your arms all the way home

−1

sutisuc t1_ixt4bnc wrote

The trick is making smaller more frequent trips and then there’s a plethora of transit options as well that are not available in NJ if you want to do larger bulk buys.

hfhifi t1_ixtbdk5 wrote

And NYC mass transit prices are a fraction of NJ equivalents. The MTA system is the least expensive per mile in the world.

kzapwn t1_ixt5i2m wrote

I think I’d still have to take New Jersey. There’s probably more areas here that are both walkable and drivable at the same time. The last two places I’ve lived in the amboys almost all my needs were in walking distance, had train stations and were also right next to the parkway and turnpike. I’d have to go with that combo over superior walkability

−1

kzapwn t1_ixszn0z wrote

What is the definition of walkable

−1