Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

i_love_all t1_j0jx980 wrote

The pho spot in Edison.

It is hands down my favorite and I’ve been to a lot in nyc

Ms284 t1_j0lkkrc wrote

This! Is the right answer! They used to be in Princeton and how I miss it so!

_TommySalami t1_j0kvw79 wrote

Binh Duong in Bloomfield was always very good. Aki in the same town is one of those pan-Asian places… but they had duck pho which was a game changer for me.

happywafflez t1_j0k33w3 wrote

Pho Saigon in Hackensack was my #1 for a long time, highly rec if you haven't.

Pho Today has really been solid lately too. Occasionally I find Pho Saigon or Binh Duong (Bloomfield) too greasy but those 3 are my steady rotation for North Jersey.

Summoarpleaz t1_j0jvwaz wrote

With the caveat that I haven’t had a bowl of pho in NJ that even comes close to those I’ve had in SoCal, or anywhere with a significant Vietnamese immigrant population, thus far the best bowl I’ve had in the state is at pho today (locations in south Plainfield and fort lee). I’d be VERY interested to know if any that I’d need to try, but I’ve gone from Bergen to Monmouth and I haven’t had one really all that good.

Edit: except the one my SO makes at home but 🤷🏻‍♂️. I haven’t tried their pho but the bo kha (sp?) at baguette delite in Piscataway is pretty good so that might be worth a try.

sutisuc t1_j0ltyyd wrote

Yup there’s no Mexican, Vietnamese, etc in NJ on par with what you can get in SoCal and the Bay Area. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying

jde0503 t1_j0m27bf wrote

Hard agree. Just moved from San Diego and am struggling.

Finding a Thai place that my Thai/Lao partner likes has been extremely difficult. Finally found a good place in Philly, which is simultaneously close enough to be accessible and far enough to be inconvenient 😂

Also, no real Hawaiian food.

Summoarpleaz t1_j0m5cdx wrote

If you want Thai, try Bangkok garden in Hackensack. They’re apparently the first Thai restaurant in Bergen. Idk I really like them.

ALC_PG t1_j0mvi0u wrote

Which place in Philly?

Not an expert and it was only one spot but I went to a Thai place in Carlsbad a few years ago and would put it in the middle of the pack of the places I've been in NJ.

Lotus of Siam in Vegas is still my favorite (feels like naming The Beatles my favorite band) and I know they started out in LA

jde0503 t1_j0mwvsm wrote

The place we found in Philly is called Vientiane Bistro. It's in Kensington.

Our favorite place in San Diego was called Ban Lao, which is in City Heights.

We live in Princeton now and have found it difficult to find authentic Thai places nearby. It almost seems like the restaurants here have modified their recipes to be more commercial / anglo-friendly.

Honestly, the few restaurants where we've liked the food have been too expensive for us to eat at regularly. They are good, but not worth the price.

For the life of me, I don't understand why we don't have good ethnic food near Princeton. It's certainly diverse enough and I'm pretty sure the community would support them if they existed.

ALC_PG t1_j0myvpa wrote

Have you tried Aroma nearby in Franklin Park? I can't do the old Pad Thai/Thai Basil/Green Curry rotation that my fellow locals seem to like. Aroma does a lot of different stuff, seems like I'm getting something new that I love each time, but I go infrequently enough that I can't fully rule out that it's the same dish and I'm just forgetting it in between visits. Seriously though, menu does seem a lot more varied than other places in NJ.

A lot of the ethnic food near Princeton is Indian, but even at that, I'm not sure there's a standout place - it's just reached pizza-like status that everything's at least acceptable if they're staying in business.

sutisuc t1_j0m3olw wrote

Yeah Philly has the best Vietnamese on the east coast as well. Best food city outside of California in my opinion

Ms284 t1_j0lky09 wrote

Pho Kim in Trenton is pretty darn good!

Groady_Wang t1_j0k2fsq wrote

Pho Anh Dao in Edison is pretty good.

zerocool918 t1_j0m1j3t wrote

Roots in Lawrenceville

Pho Today in Plainsboro

banama_boy t1_j0o7m75 wrote

I’m Vietnamese and honestly I struggle to find a decent pho place that is authentic, not watered down, and serves other Viet dishes. Some of the suggestions here have been misses for me. But the best and most impressive I’ve had so far is Binh Duong in Bloomfield. There are also good Viet places on Washington Ave in Philly.

dirty_cuban t1_j0pdxyk wrote

Have you tried Saigon Cafe in Millburn?

banama_boy t1_j127a2q wrote

I haven’t but it looks super promising! I’ll have to give it a try

wet_nib811 t1_j0l3enj wrote

Pho Today in E. Rutherford

SpeedySpooley t1_j0leqrw wrote

Ox Tail in Galloway is really good.

sutisuc t1_j0lturo wrote

Philadelphia

−3