Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TenBillionDollHairs t1_j155ymz wrote

As a Jersey gentile, the Jewish holidays are part of the rhythm of life and community. when my neighbors celebrate, I celebrate that. Happy Hanukkah.

And to every community in NJ, we are in community with you. Nobody does the melting pot like we do.

Lucasa29 t1_j16czq1 wrote

When I was a kid in NJ in the 80s, I thought the only religions were Catholic and Jewish. I had no clue.

TenBillionDollHairs t1_j16qqn8 wrote

I deadass thought America was 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Italian, 1/4 Jewish, and 1/4 Black.

hfhifi t1_j1afd1o wrote

America is 2% Jewish now and is decreasing every year.

hfhifi t1_j1af45s wrote

Did you grow up in Fair Lawn like me? Same impression when I was a kid in the 60s

4catsnotashamed t1_j1e2mhi wrote

Grew up in Fair Lawn in the 60s too. I always thought Fair Lawn was mostly Italian and Jewish with some Irish Catholics thrown in.

bigpix t1_j15icpz wrote

Well said. We are one of the original melting pots in this country.

onemm t1_j164p90 wrote

Still remember going to my friends bar mitzvah then going to church next Sunday as a kid lol. Or going to my friends houses and eating matzah ball soup with their family during Passover.. still have no idea what Passover is but I don’t give a fuck they’re my friends and neighbors and I love them

gearheadsub92 t1_j16xaj8 wrote

>the Jewish holidays are part of the rhythm of life of life and community

There’s a Christmas tree and a little LED menorah in my building, about 80 units. I grew up catholic and I’ve pretty much foregone religion by this point, but I still love this time of year because of the decorating for the sake of celebration.

I noticed getting in very late last night that the menorah was still just lit with one light (plus the center), as it had been the night before, so I grabbed it to toggle the second light on. Even if there’s just one Jewish neighbor in the rest of my building, I hope they saw that they’re not alone in their particular form of celebration, and that someone else sees them and values their celebration, same as my own :)

EatYourCheckers t1_j16i9cm wrote

I am a transplant from a pretty segregated Orlando suburb. This is probably my favorite part of New Jersey.