Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PezXCore t1_j6htvd2 wrote

Reply to comment by jjb89 in weather in NJ by xrt679

It’s pretty crazy that people are forgetting that literally exactly a year ago yesterday we had a massive snowstorm.

gzellf t1_j6iyr7f wrote

Yea, but that’s looking at it in a meteorological standpoint as opposed to a climatology standpoint: one cold snap or one snowstorm doesn’t change trends. Meteorology focuses on short term scale versus the latter focusing on a more long term scale and progress. There’s has been a of Trend of warming and we’ll see once La Niña cycles finish up (hopefully) whether we will revert back. If it remains in a more La Niña cycle indefinitely, then there climatological factors at play in other regions that end up affecting us here.

In general, even 10 years ago I remember far snowier winters guided by day drinking in college, building massive snowmen, dinning hall tray sledding, and all that, while now, I mostly see grass or if it snows, it’s gone real quick.

RafeDangerous t1_j6jtn1b wrote

> exactly a year ago yesterday we had a massive snowstorm.

Massive? I don't know where you are, but I had that come up in my Facebook memories thing yesterday. It was a picture of my new snowblower, which I only used because I'd never tried it before. It was barely enough to bother and if I didn't want to test the machine out I probably would have done it almost as easily with a shovel. Scrolling through my pictures, there was barely any left at all a couple of days later. It was hardly more than a dusting.

BucketsGotMarried t1_j6ieokk wrote

Yeah last Jan/Feb the temps were consistently in the teens and below? And the year before that we had several huge snowstorms. This winter is extremely mild, but it hasn’t been like this for years.

jjb89 t1_j6hun29 wrote

shhhhh that will ruin their brain fog of the world is ending

−4

PezXCore t1_j6idqwd wrote

I can’t forget because I moved that day. It was absolutely insane and the next day I woke up in my new house to the most beautiful snow I’d ever seen.