Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

THE_some_guy t1_j6budul wrote

If you’re into music or woodworking or just appreciate craftsmanship, the Martin guitar factory in Nazareth, PA is amazing. Yes, I know it isn’t in NJ but it isn’t far. (Edited to include a link).

GansettMan t1_j6cu1oz wrote

This is a great suggestion, definitely going to take my dad there for his birthday next month. Thanks!

THE_some_guy t1_j6czdb9 wrote

I went there with my dad for his birthday! I hope the tour is still as good as it used to be (we went pre-COVID). The tour was led by a 30+ year veteran of the factory, and we got to walk right among the work benches and talk to people who were in the middle of making instruments. At the end of the tour everybody got one of the round pieces of wood they cut out to make the sound holes, with the Martin logo burned onto it.

We were able to just walk in, but it looks like you have to pre-register now.

cd1310 OP t1_j6d1pq9 wrote

Definitely going to check that one out!

shukoroshi t1_j6cyt3j wrote

It's been 10 years since I've taken the tour. But, it was awesome being able to walk through the production floor and stand feet away from the folks making the guitars.

alpha1beta t1_j6byyf5 wrote

Not a working factory, but you might enjoy the Sterling Mine Tour. Until about 1985 it was a working zinc mine.

YukiHase t1_j6cts6s wrote

I did this for a field trip when I was in elementary school. Those fluorescent rocks blew my little mind! Even got to choose a small one to keep.

Barbourwhat t1_j6c4vn1 wrote

I was taken there as a young child by my (now passed) Grandmother and had no idea what it was called.

cd1310 OP t1_j6d2bxv wrote

Yup, this one’s on my list. I can thank U-Haul for that one because they have some trailers with a cool illustration promoting it lol

g1antleprechaun t1_j6cqzmn wrote

Pretty sure the mining portion of Zoolander was filmed there too.

ReadersAreRedditors t1_j6gq16m wrote

I think most schools in North Jersey have some kind of field trip there. It's a right of passage for a Jersey kid.

PsychologicalAd1153 t1_j6bqbup wrote

Possibly the General Pencil Company in Jersey City

cd1310 OP t1_j6br9nj wrote

Woah had no idea they had a factory here. Def have used their charcoal pencils before… Hopefully they do public tours, that’d be awesome. Thanks.

jizard t1_j6csxzs wrote

Does Edison's old factory count? Fascinating stuff, even if he was a terrible human being

Sensitive-Swim-3679 t1_j6crw6g wrote

Also not NJ but right next to is the Crayola factory/museum experience in Easton. You can see crayons and markers being made, but there is a whole lot more. Also great food in town!

shukoroshi t1_j6cyz67 wrote

Unfortunately, Crayola no longer offers a tours of the factory. They do have the "Crayola Experience", which is pretty great for kids. (albeit, a bit nickel and dimey, if I remember)

Sensitive-Swim-3679 t1_j6d48jc wrote

This is what I was saying, and yes it ain’t cheap, but they have expanded their footprint and thus offerings. Still neat to see them made!

Phil_ODendron t1_j6d4rb3 wrote

You DON'T get to see crayons being made.

Went there recently with a friend and her kid and it's a lot different than it used to be. Basically a crayon themed playground for young children. Very different from when I went with I was a child.

I would not suggest even going unless you have a kid 10 or under.

ansky201 t1_j6ee01j wrote

I agree. I was there back in 2019 and it's definitely geared towards younger kids.

FlameThrower18 t1_j6crxym wrote

There's some awesome ideas here. I hope people have more because I have nothing to add.

RivChk t1_j6c7tys wrote

Most of NJ wineries do tours.

SierraSeaWitch t1_j6d6wtc wrote

You would need to arrange it ahead of time, but International Flavors and Fragrances (IFF) in Hazlet, NJ did tours. I do not know how easy it is to arrange post-covid. They have a gorgeous greenhouse that is awesome and full of incredibly talented scientists. They make artificial flavors for foods/medicines and fragrances for basically everything.

Dozzi92 t1_j6f22a7 wrote

Your local MUA probably do tours of the wastewater treatment facility. So if you're into shit, check it out.

trixiewutang t1_j6ipgwh wrote

I read this as make up artist and was soooooo confused Lmao

tashabunn t1_j6gdwrj wrote

One year in elementary school we walked to our town’s waste water facility for a field trip. Went to yet another in middle school on our 8th grade trip to Busch gardens. And a THIRD sewage trip when i took environmental science in college.

swellsnj t1_j6eza7e wrote

Every brewery in the state.

I recommend calling ahead and trying to do a tour while they're running the bottling it canning line (not every brewery packages).

trixiewutang t1_j6iplog wrote

This was going to be my suggestion. Dark City and Kane breweries are really cool to look at.

swellsnj t1_j6iu1lp wrote

Unfortunately, Dark City is no longer amongst us, but Kane is an awesome tour and facility to check out.

trixiewutang t1_j6izt3t wrote

Omg really nooo. Sorry I kinda live under a rock but wow ☹️

dogsled1 t1_j6d26ff wrote

When I was a kid our Summer camp did a tour of the factory where they made all of the orange drink and fruit punch for the Krauszer’s convenience stores. They gave each of us a paper half gallon of it as a parting gift. It was all over the van when we got home 😂We also did a tour of I believe the Delco car battery factory on French St. in New Brunswick. That was really cool.

dobby10 t1_j6cnwt9 wrote

Amazon, although I believe in person are still paused since covid and it is only live virtual now....

https://amazontours.com/na/onsite/LGA9

https://amazontours.com/na/onsite/EWR4

Practical_Argument50 t1_j6easb8 wrote

Not a factory. This is just a warehouse.

dobby10 t1_j6ebc6q wrote

"Just a warehouse" minimizes it. The number of conveyor belts, automations, robots, and sophisticated processes makes an Amazon warehouse more complex than many factories.

Practical_Argument50 t1_j6ebqdn wrote

True but they don't produce anything. Factory makes something from raw materials and or parts. Warehouse stores products made in a factory. Does Amazon have highly technical process yes but it is still a warehouse not a factory.

Dozzi92 t1_j6f266g wrote

Really living up to that username.

trixiewutang t1_j6iq61n wrote

If we want to get really technical, Amazon’s are distribution centers, not warehouses or factories. Warehouses store items that are made from factories. Distribution centers receive goods from warehouses and distribute them out for routes and do not typically store items. In and out. Still cool to look at but don’t think Amazon is conducting any tours to the public. Source: work logistics and supply chain and worked at Amazon sort center

Yohzer67 t1_j6nlkzz wrote

I bet the M&M plant in hackettstown does a tour