Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

snarkuzoid t1_j57un7h wrote

I wish people would just give this a rest. There are two reasons:

1. Supply
  2. Demand

The tiny number of dispensaries currently have a virtual monopoly, and they're pressing that advantage to make as much money as they can. This is just good business. As more dispensaries open, which is happening more slowly than anyone else wants, prices will come down.

Give it time.

−1

ExperienceNo7751 OP t1_j57vmm8 wrote

Bullshit. No one anywhere is complaining about places running out, in fact I see nothing but tons of options at the usual places I go.

There’s not going to be any demand with these prices. Everyone will go back underground for good prices.

I’m literally going to make a trip into the city just to save nearly 40%.

snarkuzoid t1_j57w9l4 wrote

Supply regarding dispensaries, not their inventory. We have 20ish dispensaries for 9 million people. When I visited Jasper in Alberta last fall they had 4 dispensaries for 5000 people. Prices were pretty cheap.

And if people weren't buying the prices would be lower. So clearly wrong about demand.

Enjoy the city. When I walked from Penn Station to 51st a few months ago I saw 2 dispensaries, 4 "smoke shops" that also sold weed, and a guy in Times Square who set up a table on the sidewalk full of weed. All were illegal.

kindofdivorced t1_j5919hq wrote

They’re not “illegal” in the city (minus the guy with the table), they’re operating in a grey area while the state figures out the structure, they have “future permits”. There are some REALLY good shops on 7th avenue near Times Square with security and quality goods at good prices. They can’t be too illegal if actual cops are assisting the private security with entry and exit control.

snarkuzoid t1_j5a5pra wrote

Of course they can be. Just like all of the state programs are illegal at the federal level. "Not currently enforced" is not the same as legal.

ModernRomantic77 t1_j58nq5m wrote

A big part of why they have a monopoly is because these are large, multistate corporations greasing the palms of politicians so they can keep out mom and pop dispensaries. There's NO good reason for there to be only what, 1-2 independent sellers in the entire state.

Supply and demand applies, sure, but when the market is completely closed, there is no way for competition to help meet demand at affordable prices. If you look at other industries with monopolies, you can see how this will play out. We pay way too much for internet and cable why? Monopolies.

snarkuzoid t1_j5a5fuv wrote

In NJ the reason is that they started, like other states, building upon the existing med program. Which in NJ's case was almost nonexistent.