Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

outcome--independent t1_j682rur wrote

>"People were coming to our door to meet Bruno and we got almost all the cats in the store adopted in the meantime," she said. "We only have two black cats left in our adoption room. So that was a good response as well."

What is up with people and black cats?

JVortex888 OP t1_j684fu0 wrote

I have one myself and she's the best. I hope these two cats find homes too.

T0ast_NJ t1_j689qoc wrote

Not everyone is prepared to take care of a void

BonjourLeGeorge t1_j686f1o wrote

I heard it’s because people consider them bad luck and also black isn’t as unique as calico, tabby, etc, so people go with the “prettier” cat. I have a black cat and he’s awesome, definitely not bad luck.

PurpleSailor t1_j68ow4t wrote

I own a lot of darker colored clothing and the hair from my black cats isn't all that noticable on it. When I had a white Siamese cat I was going through a lot of those sticky tape lint rollers every year. Now with my voids I haven't bought one in at least a decade.

LadyBug_0570 t1_j69rpj1 wrote

I have an orange/white tabby and wear dark clothes. Sometimes I wish I'd gotten a black cat. At least his shedding fur would blend into my clothes.

wrx_2016 t1_j68vgyr wrote

Idiot people who believe in idiot superstitions

patsully98 t1_j68lxhz wrote

White and black bunnies too 😢 Honestly Im really glad the first owners surrendered him, as much as it sucks, instead of abandoning him.

librarycatlady t1_j68nzgg wrote

My black cat is the best. However sometimes I do think the black blanket on my couch is her.

djpharaoh t1_j68vxao wrote

Superstition and they photograph poorly. People are idiots

Toytles t1_j68vzew wrote

Yeah I don’t get it, I’m more of a dog person but I’d totally get a black cat, they’re very beautiful

LadyBug_0570 t1_j69rikt wrote

RACISM! /s

Seriously, I think it's just the whole superstition "witchy" thing. I love reading posts frm Redditors who own "voids" and who love them like crazy.

AlanMercer t1_j69fcoz wrote

Our black cat is irrationally afraid of everyone but me, which probably has something to do with the enormous scars on her hindquarters. Something got her good.

Anyway, she loves cuddling, yelling at birds, and bringing me stuffed mice -- regular cat stuff.

AceTheGreat_ t1_j68y17p wrote

I've always had black cats growing up. My family loves them.

Giant_Devil t1_j6a2izz wrote

Don't know, I had one growing up, and now, many years later, I have one that's mostly black, has a couple white spots on his chest/belly. He's a good lad.

spxdergirl t1_j6bdsuo wrote

Black cats are the least adopted of cats- AND the most highly euthanized of cats. People are crazy and kill black cats they see around the neighborhood too. Mostly crazy religious people who believe they represent hell/Satan. Also, the witch stereotype & the superstitious people who believe they are bad luck.

I have a little black boy named Figaro who refuses to stay inside and cries and screams at the back door unless we let him out. He usually comes home and stays home at night since we don’t like him outside at night because he could get hit by a car. It’s our little agreement with him. Crazy people make me nervous on the rare occasion he doesn’t come home, because I get worried someone hurt him.

outcome--independent t1_j6bsnpw wrote

He sounds precious. I hope you bring him inside on Halloween. I'm sorry you have to worry for him like this, I wish people would change.

AmericanWasted t1_j69qebn wrote

my next cat (hopefully many, many years from now) will be a black cat - they are so cool!

StrategicBlenderBall t1_j69rt23 wrote

My Cocker Spaniel, although not a cat, is black. When we met the rescue they said they had a bunch of people that wouldn’t take him because he’s black. That’s their loss though, because he is such an amazing dog! If only he’d stop bullying our new puppy that’s twice his size lol.

Abba- t1_j6bwcwm wrote

According to last shelter I spoke with black dogs have same issue and they’re guess was it’s much harder to take good pictures with.

Bodidiva t1_j68gsz5 wrote

Jeez.

I have an adopted feral who is 16 years old now and we've had her since she was 1. She is not a lap cat. She sits near you, lays near you, might lean on you or use your leg as a pillow but never sits on your lap. We love her, but man, I hope my next cat sits on me ALL THE TIME.

mollymayhem08 t1_j68puo9 wrote

Be careful what you wish for ;) I call my cat a barnacle because he’s always attached to me

Bodidiva t1_j68qyf8 wrote

I've had cats who were stuck on me all the time and I love it.

LadyBug_0570 t1_j69s7si wrote

I find it inconvenient when mine wants to lay on lap while I'm working (I WFH). Then I have to draft documents or answer emails while tying over his head. Finally I have to move him and tell him I need to work and if he wants to get fed, he needs to move so mama can earn money.

MOM_1_MORE_MINUTE t1_j69c8eb wrote

Yea, cuddle cats are awesome. Except at 3am when my void HAS TO HAVE CUDDLES OR WILL 100% DIE. But other than an aggressivly cuddly unwanted alarm clock, cuddle cats are great! Love the purrs while she is laying on my chest.

randygiles t1_j68hqe1 wrote

Man this is so sad. That poor cat, I'm glad he found a new home. People need to seriously think for more than 5 seconds about whether they are willing to take on the responsibility of having a pet. Taking him back because he was too affectionate within a WEEK instead of trying to train him is so callous.

Demonkey44 t1_j69a3ku wrote

Bruno thought he found his forever home with the second family.

The mom in the second home should have just practiced a closed door policy during working hours in her office and at bedtime in her daughters room. That’s what I do. Cats are brilliant about understanding boundaries (and pushing on them).

Her daughter will need therapy after feeling like it was her “fault” the cat was given to a shelter.

I wonder if there was also one of these strict dads or stepdads in the background.

My husband’s father used to give all of his family’s pets away if there were small infractions in tidiness or if someone forgot (once) to take the animal for a walk. It was a control mechanism.

The whole family ended up being very passive aggressive towards the Dad - lots of therapy required by my husband on that end…

People suck.

potatochipsfox t1_j695kd1 wrote

> Taking him back because he was too affectionate within a WEEK instead of trying to train him is so callous.

True, but also I'm fine with it. If that's how they're gonna be, they shouldn't have a pet.

Zhuul t1_j695n1q wrote

Also like he was probably scared. My girl spent the first night at my apartment making biscuits next to me with her tail in full bottle-brush mode. Changing environments is tough on an animal.

LadyBug_0570 t1_j69tlu0 wrote

Awww.

When I first got mine, he hid under my bed. Including the whole next day when I had to go into the office and leave him alone (I felt horrible about that and wanted to cry and leave the office early, but they wouldn't let me). I finally got him out once I came home with some more food.

The next day (Saturday) he hid under every thing he could hide under. But as a single woman with no kids or prior pets... not everything had been cleaned for a while prior to that. So I'd go, move the object hid under, swept and mopped it.

Did he go back to that freshly clean place? No. He went under something else that I realized hadn't been cleaned in 100 years. So I'd go, sweep/vaccuum and mop. He'd find somewhere else.

About halfway through thoroughly giving my place a good cleaning, it occurred to me the lil asshole was not only doing this on purpose... I think this was his way of critisizing my housekeeping skills. Because once everything was all clean... he sat next to me.

Well played, you lil asshole. Well played.

Zhuul t1_j6a3itr wrote

Real talk, my apartment's cleaner than it's been in years

LadyBug_0570 t1_j6a5bx0 wrote

Sometimes I think he's still giving me the side-eye on my housekeeping.

VickNoLogic t1_j694all wrote

Im saying. This a huge responsibility. You have to be ready to love this being forever

beeps-n-boops t1_j68pgul wrote

"too affectionate"

SMFH people are just fucking assholes.

BS_220 t1_j682tve wrote

What a beauty! I hope his new home is his forever home

lily_rhye t1_j68huko wrote

I have a cat who drools on me when I pet her. I’m not a fan of that but I love her anyway.

opposite_of_hotcakes t1_j68t1lq wrote

Hope that family isn't allowed to adopt any pets going forward.

jerseyshorenancy t1_j68vl97 wrote

We have four cats. (Don't judge.😸) One of our cats died in October. She was lovely to people but terrible to other cats. When I adopted a new cat, I wanted to make sure that they had a personality that would best match with the others. We spent a total of five hours over two weeks at the shelter, and came home with a lovely void who is personality plus. Other than jumping on top of me from the headboard at 2 AM, he is amazing. I named him Snape.

Lyraxiana t1_j69iiht wrote

Too affectionate???

I'd like to have several words with these people.

WaltzThinking t1_j69lxxw wrote

I had a cat one that was too affectionate. I also worked from home at the time and she never stopped trying to cuddle with me, sleep on my arms, climb on me. I eventually figured out how to let her sleep comfortably on my lap while I worked on my laptop and even installed a program that would detect if she walked across the keyboard and stop the computer from sending erroneous messages of cat footprints. The toughest part was that she wanted to sleep on my face at night and lick my head and eyebrows so I had to close the door with her outside the bedroom and listen to her meow at night. But man, I miss her and I would never have given her up.

Award-Kooky t1_j68iwqf wrote

Oh no come here Bruno. Want to give some chin scratches to him asap

asian_identifier t1_j68y4gf wrote

that's a pretty stupid excuse in the first place... just keep it in another room when you dont want to be bothered? some discipline?

Transmascva t1_j69bgpy wrote

This was the animal shelter in my town. We got every one of our pets there. They truly do care for the animals

Longtime-Yanks-Fan99 t1_j6adipq wrote

It was a black cat that converted me from a dog person to a cat person. He had to leave 4 years later, now I am a crazy cat lady with 4 cats, one black.

plethorasaurus t1_j6b0mb6 wrote

That person doesn't deserve to own any pets. Similarly, the cat I have now was returned to the rescue for being, "too playful".

sweetbldnjesus t1_j6baghi wrote

Why no one adopt the black kitties?!?!

Jimmy_kong253 t1_j6ck7py wrote

That family doesn't deserve to adopt another animal

PutDangerous4255 t1_j6ec6pw wrote

This is such a sad turned heart warming story. Been looking to adopt a cat and saw this, it’s true they had a ton of animals on Petfinder it’s down to 2 and a kitten! What kind of monsters didn’t want a cat that’s too loving? All in all turned out to be a blessing for all the animals in that shelter!