Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Fuzzyphilosopher t1_j918p02 wrote

Not likely. When I lived in japan I met and spoke with people who lived through the war. For the most part they expressed a genuine thankfulness for the US bringing the war to an end, freeing them from a military dictatorship and the very surprising to them at the time kindness of American troops and macArthur's GHQ. Giving trainloads of grain to people who are starving will do that.

One man was a boy through it all and had very fond memories of playing baseball with GI's and being given chewing gum. He led a Buddhist Temple and we hit it off quite well. : )

hiroshima and nagasaki are more complex but largely viewed with sadness rather than resentment or anger. And of course a commitment to try to prevent the use of nuclear weapons ever again.

There are right wing nationalists of course who see the war very differently. And they will sometimes let you know it in drunken rage slurs.

It's a complex situation and unlike the Germans the Japanese have a bad habit of just wanting to forget the war years and focus on the rebirth of their country afterwards. From my eight years there I can't imagine any but the extreme nationalist showing or expressing any disrespect to war grave of our sailors.