Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Exiled_From_Twitter t1_j99f0sj wrote

Good thing he got it though.........................................

−113

Keman2000 t1_j99rtam wrote

You have the same odds of dying eating a new random food you've never tried...

I know antivaxxers aren't very smart or good at math, but still thousands times less likely to kill you than covid.

Exiled_From_Twitter t1_j9d02l6 wrote

Funny you just automatically assume I'm an antivaxxer. Who's not very smart again?

​

Shhhhhh

−9

Trurorlogan t1_j9amr6a wrote

I think calling antivaxxers names is a terrible way to open a dialogue where someone could be informed or swayed on their opinion. I have some seriously smart friends (highly educated at the PhD and MD level) who are also "antivaxxers" when it came to covid. Fear, irrational or rational, is a very powerful emotion to overcome. Assuming they are stupid will close any door to conversation you hope to open. So, yes, the information we currently have now is excellent and if you have no contraindications, likely safe. The information/disinformation we had in the beginning was a huge pain to filter through.

−30

MidLifeHalfHouse t1_j9bhka3 wrote

Yeah, I’m not op but I agree that “stupid” is the wrong to be in the dialogue. I waited a few months for first vax because I wanted to see if one was more efficient, more side effects, how public health responded, etc.

That said, the math is pretty clear on the issue now. It’s been 3 years. Probably safe to say “antivax” if haven’t been vaccinated by now.

Trurorlogan t1_j9cxe8f wrote

And that was totally reasonable in the beginning! Now, yeah, the research is there.

Exiled_From_Twitter t1_j9d0hby wrote

I didn't say anything antivax related or spread any propaganda about the vaccine. No one cares though, they just want to label ppl and then dismiss them immediately. I obviously wasn't intending to have some grand discourse on it, look at my original reply, but it's still funny that some ppl just go "you're a dumb antivaxxer" b/c that's easy. It's also far from the truth.

−4

Flatline2962 t1_j9dcjg7 wrote

>I think calling antivaxxers names is a terrible way to open a dialogue where someone could be informed or swayed on their opinion

Antivaxxers are starting to talk about getting into politics to imprison and punish people who take vaccines.

I seriously doubt they're going to be convinced otherwise.

Trurorlogan t1_j9dergt wrote

But they CAN be. Most people like that live in an echo chamber of crazy (that link is just nuts). It's no different than here on reddit. Once someone is not judged for their opinion, they can have a conversation. Once judgment or insults enter the chat, people dig in. At that point, you won't be able to convince them of anything at all. Well, that's my experience anyway. Thanks for the response.

Keman2000 t1_j9j4ubz wrote

Have an upvote, cause I use to agree with you. The literal brainless zombies who exist now...no logic, no reasons. They do what the parasite on TV or the radio tells, they don't care if they kill your grandparents or parents, they have no humanity. Maybe there are a few, but I do not have faith in it anymore.

Same people crying about abortion are about to create the largest humanitarian crises in the US in decades when enough babies don't get vaccinated.

xieta t1_j9c3x4y wrote

> I think calling antivaxxers names is a terrible way to open a dialogue

IMO, we need to differentiate laypeople people who went unvaccinated from those who made spreading antivax propaganda their political or financial mission. There's nothing to be gained by opening dialog with those people, and shame is a realistic method to discourage their behavior.

Here's the thing. There were a lot of passively antivax people in 2020... but I'm pretty sure in 2023 this crowd is pretty much exclusively ideologues and grifters.

−1

Trurorlogan t1_j9cyku4 wrote

>IMO, we need to differentiate laypeople people who went unvaccinated from those who made spreading antivax propaganda their political or financial mission

Yup! These people are to blame for some unnecessary suffering. These people are shameless. The punishment should be financial. Thats where they feel it.

Gotta love reditt for some downvoted rational opinions. 🤣

MidLifeHalfHouse t1_j99fypf wrote

Not for him individually but for the 8.5 million vaccinated without a problem it is.

[deleted] t1_j99g63g wrote

[removed]

−27

MidLifeHalfHouse t1_j99gesf wrote

Idk how many died in Asia and/or Singapore but yeah, pretty sure millions have died in Asia as a whole.

Also:

>He added that myocarditis could develop as a result of COVID-19 infection itself, citing a published paper that said that a person with a COVID-19 infection had an approximately 16 times higher risk of developing myocarditis compared with a person who did not have a COVID-19 infection.

Lou_C_Fer t1_j99h2js wrote

No... but some of them would have died of covid without the vaccine for sure. Plus the multitude of other long term effects that people may have suffered.

Exiled_From_Twitter t1_j9fhh9u wrote

Point is that it should be a nuanced take. Get the vaccine if you're in the higher risk bracket but there's no reason to do so if you're not. I got it, but it doesn't mean I support EVERYONE getting it.