Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Crizbibble t1_jabq9ec wrote

The new IT crowd especially the folks going to these software boot camps don’t know how to build networks, maintain proper information security or do much of anything outside of building front ends and web services. They are also unwilling to learn it because they don’t think it’s important. Not sure why that is happening or what schools are teaching.

Sir_Rexicus t1_jacbync wrote

Working in IT infrastructure/InfoSec it drives me nuts when I deal with most devs.

Drives me fucking nuts.

mq2thez t1_jabtria wrote

There are a lot of jobs for product, and a lot fewer jobs for infra. You can bootstrap your way into Frontend a lot faster, and in theory, you only need one “expert” to enable/review for a larger group and sorta keep things on the rails.

People follow the reward structure. If you’re trying to get into programming, boot camps and Frontend are a fast and relatively efficient way to do so.

I’ve been a “Frontend” dev for more than a decade (I remember being excited about a new library called jQuery and how many problems it solved). It’s been great watching the industry shift toward taking UI/UX more seriously, but it’s been horrifying watching software quality tank in the name of slamming out badly-A/B tested features faster and faster.

Maybe one day I’ll find another job where the focus is on the craft, but at the moment the money is coming in elsewhere.

waldowv t1_jacsyj0 wrote

Infrastructure is fun as hell and I love doing it. But delivery pressure is extremely high and testing is hard so there are usually zero tests and on top of it you have to install a LifeRuiner app on your phone.

If looking down on application devs keeps you answering that pager at 2am to add yet another bandaid on top of your other bandaids, then by all means keep it up.