Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

theinnerspiral t1_j97hqx2 wrote

Excellent idea. I’m sure plenty would take them up on it. Not much different than a Maine moose hunt

DanMorgan405 t1_j98e6vm wrote

Except that cows are extremely hard to kill and process compared to a deer or elk.

−31

sortedWanker t1_j98ko5g wrote

How so? Deer and elk are much faster and elusive prey than a cow. Also, cows, deer, and elk break down extremely similar during butchering.

Most-Star-7094 t1_j98ncdu wrote

It's a lot more meat than a deer or elk, but I fail to see how it would be harder to kill one or butcher one.

DanMorgan405 t1_j98siiv wrote

Having dressed and hunted (not hunting the cow) all three, there is no comparison.

They are not similar, which is why experienced hunters take their cows to a butcher instead of doing it themselves.

−12

sortedWanker t1_j98ul7l wrote

You just end up with a lot more ground meat with cow most times due to size. The larger the size of animal the longer it takes to break down. You are the first experienced cow hunter I have met and heard of.

Jillredhanded t1_j99he0o wrote

Did a five week culinary school block on meat fabrication. Started with a hanging half. Cool af.

DanMorgan405 t1_j9ab7wp wrote

Like I said in my post, I didn't hunt the cow. I have very unfortunately had to help butcher one. It was truly one of the worst experiences of my life.

−1

GDogg007 t1_j9bfrub wrote

I have hunted and processed all AND butchered and processed my own cattle, chicken, goat. Cows are easy, just larger. All of them break down by muscle groups.

el_duderino88 t1_j9abud0 wrote

Yea, cow hunts are incredibly dangerous, once the feral cow senses their presence often the hunter becomes the hunted. Cows kill about 20 people a year.