Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Dino7813 t1_j97gkcc wrote

They should let hunters apply for a lottery cow tag, at least someone would use the meat. It’s just wasteful.

teahabit t1_j98d5j3 wrote

The problem is that the terrain is very tough going. If the park service of the area (BLM, Forest Service, National Park) could get the cattle out by a round up they would.

In my area of NM, we get cattle rangers to round up the feral cattle every 7 or so years. They auction off the cattle without brands. Feral cattle are quick, surprisingly quiet, and crafty dudes.

Last year we had an out of town runner get run over by one of our feral bulls. He didn't realize that you have to give them a wide berth. Even the cougars don't go after a full sized cattle. Deer are much easier prey...

_MrBalls_ t1_j98qhgi wrote

Drop some off in the Los Padres, the lions would love it.

IreallEwannasay t1_j991h6v wrote

Excuse me, lions? Like just roaming?

throwawayinthe818 t1_j992szi wrote

Mountain lions. Yes, they roam their traditional range, which sometimes includes suburban sprawl.

_MrBalls_ t1_j997ry8 wrote

Mountain lions, we treat them like celebrities in California.

mouse_8b t1_j9b39ij wrote

There's a 200 pound difference between lions and cougers. A little bit misleading to call what we have in America a lion.

CapableConnection141 t1_j9afekf wrote

Is the meat not donated toblical food banks? They do this in TX with feral hoga

teahabit t1_j9ahq8j wrote

Since the cattle are not killed, there’s no donations to food banks. Nor can food banks here deal with an influx of 50 cattle. There’s no refrigerators for the meat, nor funds to butcher the cattle. Cattle are auctioned (cheaply, since it’s old), and local folks get to distribute stew meat to their friends and families.

The funds from the auction help pay for the cattle rustlers.

theinnerspiral t1_j97hqx2 wrote

Excellent idea. I’m sure plenty would take them up on it. Not much different than a Maine moose hunt

DanMorgan405 t1_j98e6vm wrote

Except that cows are extremely hard to kill and process compared to a deer or elk.

−31

sortedWanker t1_j98ko5g wrote

How so? Deer and elk are much faster and elusive prey than a cow. Also, cows, deer, and elk break down extremely similar during butchering.

Most-Star-7094 t1_j98ncdu wrote

It's a lot more meat than a deer or elk, but I fail to see how it would be harder to kill one or butcher one.

DanMorgan405 t1_j98siiv wrote

Having dressed and hunted (not hunting the cow) all three, there is no comparison.

They are not similar, which is why experienced hunters take their cows to a butcher instead of doing it themselves.

−12

sortedWanker t1_j98ul7l wrote

You just end up with a lot more ground meat with cow most times due to size. The larger the size of animal the longer it takes to break down. You are the first experienced cow hunter I have met and heard of.

Jillredhanded t1_j99he0o wrote

Did a five week culinary school block on meat fabrication. Started with a hanging half. Cool af.

DanMorgan405 t1_j9ab7wp wrote

Like I said in my post, I didn't hunt the cow. I have very unfortunately had to help butcher one. It was truly one of the worst experiences of my life.

−1

GDogg007 t1_j9bfrub wrote

I have hunted and processed all AND butchered and processed my own cattle, chicken, goat. Cows are easy, just larger. All of them break down by muscle groups.

el_duderino88 t1_j9abud0 wrote

Yea, cow hunts are incredibly dangerous, once the feral cow senses their presence often the hunter becomes the hunted. Cows kill about 20 people a year.

myusernamehere1 t1_j98ne3u wrote

The meat wont be wasted. It will be consumed by the local wildlife and fertilize the soil.

psychicsword t1_j98nfbt wrote

People won't use the meat but it isn't like nothing will eat it. The wildlife will eat it.

alias_487 t1_j98yy9x wrote

The meat would be gross. Usually you butcher/kill a cow around 2 years old. These could be older. It’s the same reason why a lot of folks don’t eat wild hogs.

el_duderino88 t1_j9aclmj wrote

Except lots of folks do eat wild boar..

alias_487 t1_j9avskj wrote

Lots of folks eat cow dick too. Doesn’t mean that it’s still good.

GDogg007 t1_j9amkxm wrote

Old cows make great ground beef. They also make amazing roasts. The ribs aren't too bad if cooked right. I have ate many an "old" cow and even Holsteins. People eat old cows.

_MrBalls_ t1_j98qd43 wrote

What would the Secretary of Agriculture think?

TBRoma t1_j996jor wrote

So very wasteful why do this?? Nature is handling business by making Feral Cows, and the man gonna shoot the Fcows from the sky. Wtf? Why??

−6

Payorfixyourself t1_j99km5q wrote

Because they’re not native and reek havoc on the ecosystem. The only feral cows they going to allow are buffalo. Then there is the part that since they are wild range they’re eating the grass that could Be going to a cow going to actual market for food.