Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ursixx t1_j9gw8zz wrote

Whew not Göteborg/Gothenburg..

CapitalLongjumping t1_j9h392q wrote

Same as the Palestine and Moscow stuff! Please USA, find your own names! ;)

RPDRNick t1_j9hlyzx wrote

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam.

AceJZ t1_j9hoh2s wrote

Oh great now it's stuck in my head again.

Sons_of_biscuits t1_j9hyr62 wrote

Why they changed it, I can’t say. People just liked it better that way

mina-ami t1_j9hkvcc wrote

Don't worry, they're pronounced completely different most of the time!

Here in Illinois we've got

Athens (Aye-thins)

Milan (my-lan)

Cairo (K-row)

MarchionessofMayhem t1_j9hzbbb wrote

Kentucky has Versailles(Ver-sales), London, Paris, Glasgow, Brandenburg, Frankfort (sic), Somerset, and. Winchester. For funsies we have Monkey's Eyebrow, Rabbit Hash,Tyewhoppety, and Beaver Dam.

Kiyuri t1_j9irjw2 wrote

Speaking of funsies, I've always enjoyed the native American names used for places. Take New York State for example: Cheektowaga, Owego, Oswego, Ostego, Poughkeepsie, Wawayanda, Poospatuck, Chautauqua, etc. They're distinct from any European place names AND fun to say! Also, bonus points if you can pronounce them right.

ForThePantz t1_j9ik5sq wrote

You forgot San Jose (San Joes - not kidding… and not that far from Athens actually).

wasdlmb t1_j9iix03 wrote

We did. Those are our names now, motherfuckers. Why go to smelly Paris France when you can go to the cultural center of the world, Paris Texas!

(for those of you not in Texas, there is absolutely nothing in Paris TX. We also never refer to it as just "Paris" because even in our state it's completely irrelevant)

GuntherSpiermen t1_j9hm888 wrote

I'm from the USA, been here my whole life, and this shit really fucking confuses me. Until scrolling down I assumed the article was about Sweden... even the article itself doesn't specify.