Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

55855585 t1_j94462w wrote

Maybe they feel unable to provide enough security to guarantee his safety and the safety of other attendees. "Ban" is the word he used, which I think overplays it a bit. Usually a ban is for poor behavior (see: Will Smith) and that is not the case here.

>He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that they had tickets to the event, but the invite was withdrawn based on advice from UK police.

>Mr Grozev added, however, that in recent weeks he has received "numerous alerts from different law enforcement agencies around Europe that there is credible evidence that my life is in danger".

OcotilloWells t1_j96eg2s wrote

That makes sense, with the police in the article stating that they don't have the authority to ban anyone from the event. They could definitely say that the existing security isn't enough if certain people were attending though.

Noisy_Toy t1_j943upf wrote

Sounds like numerous agencies have heard credible threats against him and his family.

Kriztauf t1_j96d28f wrote

He's been a massive thorn in the Kremlin's side. I'm sure he's at the top of the list of people they want liquidated

OmarLittleFinger t1_j93xa2b wrote

Just set up some radiation detectors and keep everyone on the ground level. It should be fine.

d01100100 t1_j956t0x wrote

This is the UK, well known for its bell towers.

Novichok doesn't show up on radiation detectors.

OcotilloWells t1_j96cvh1 wrote

Polonium would show up. :-)

−5

dungone t1_j96eeye wrote

Novichok is not made from polonium. And Russians will poison a bunch of bystanders just to get at their target.

EmotionalSuportPenis t1_j97bh2y wrote

Which could (and should) be construed as an act of war against the UK, at which point they should invoke NATO Article 5.

−2

dungone t1_j97ouh1 wrote

A rational individual would tell a Russian dissident to stay home rather than deal with the possibility of triggering NATO's Article 5 on behalf of a film festival.

brumac44 t1_j95vbwt wrote

Don't try the perfume in the loot bags. word to the wise

TheoremaEgregium t1_j9527ot wrote

He lived in Austria for a long time but was forced to leave thid month after an intelligence agency told him he was no longer safe.

OcotilloWells t1_j96dap7 wrote

Yeah, I love Austria, but not where I would go to avoid Russian assassins.

dtta8 t1_j94c5jl wrote

Having Russia murder someone at the awards ceremony would put a bit of a damper on the mood.

code_archeologist t1_j94iibc wrote

It would also be a very public statement that nowhere is safe for people on Putin's "enemy's list".

dungone t1_j96f8pn wrote

"Nowhere" in this case would be a completely insecure event where there was no way to protect the guy or potential bystanders.

IreallEwannasay t1_j95sobq wrote

Well, that's fucking terrifying. "Hey, don't come here. Russia is trying to kill you so....yeah. Stay home."

JackKovack t1_j958l34 wrote

I’d go anyway dressed as a man from the French Revolutionary. Baguette anyone?

pvincentl t1_j988cru wrote

Who said there's no Russian influence in the UK ?

AffenMitWaffen2 t1_j95133o wrote

He could fall out a window and land on someone!

sillylilkitty t1_j9a0o1b wrote

London has windows. He’s definitely not safe there.