Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

yaki_torii t1_je837gd wrote

Dianne Feinstein doesn't want to resign, yet she should have a decade ago when the dementia began kicking her ass.

clintontg t1_je8418q wrote

I guess my concern is "encouraging" someone to resign versus trying to oust a progressive politician. I'd prefer him leaving if he actually wanted to.

yaki_torii t1_je85pjb wrote

That doesn't address what I'm saying. Dianne Feinstein doesn't want to leave either. She's basically being forced to. How is having her resign due to her obviously declining mental health any different from encouraging Fetterman, who's basically spent his whole term so far in a hospital, from doing the same?

Stolliosis t1_je86dgt wrote

Diane Feinstein is 900 years old. She is on a one-way trajectory. She will never be stronger and more adept in the future. That cannot be said about Fetterman. That's the difference.

yaki_torii t1_je89x8l wrote

High stress environments, such as lawmaking and campaigning, are not conducive to stroke recovery. Fetterman might have more wiggle room than Feinstein but thats not saying much, and if he's dogged about staying in the senate, then it's a smart bet that he won't recover well enough.

−2

clintontg t1_je880il wrote

I'd say it should be based on his prognosis and his personal wishes. If he really can't execute his duties in the office then maybe he should leave. If he's on the mend, wants to be there, and is cognitively capable of doing the job then why not?

yaki_torii t1_je8a06t wrote

Sure, I agree. But he's not been either "on the mend" or "capable of doing the job" since Day 1. That's my entire point.

−6

clintontg t1_je8b0ze wrote

3 months out of a 6 year term isn't that long to me