Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

smackson t1_itx21rp wrote

Remember when myspace got, like, 65% of the formula right but the other pieces weren't in place / the world wasn't ready yet?...

Then fb figured out the gap, and the tech, a couple years later and created their rocketship?

Zuckerberg is helming the "myspace of the metaverse"... he's hoping he can bridge the gap. But the future is not predictable (just ask Tom from myspace).

I hope he gets taken down a peg. The metaverse should be an open protocol, not a corporate product.

verrius t1_itxar0s wrote

Not even. We've seen other companies tackle VR, and we've seen other's tackle "Online virtual world that's just a replacement for a real world". Both of them have been massive failures, because at their core, there's no main stream reason for either. Sure, most people can enjoy VR for 30 minutes, but to most people shoving a heavy appliance on their face that 100% blocks their view isn't something they want to do every day. And most people don't want to have a fully 3d avatar to do their online meetings. Combining them doesn't turn this into something most people want. He's taken two dead end technologies and combined them, and is surprised they're not printing money like they do in the books he read growing up.

saga_of_a_star_world t1_ity2542 wrote

If VR meant I could put on a headset and visit the Louvre, Hermitage, Uffizi, stroll down Vienna's Ringstrasse, walk through Angkor Wat or Macchu Picchu, visit the Valley of the Kings, I'd buy a set in a heartbeat.

But walking down Facebook boulevard, entering Facebook store and spending virtual Facebook money to buy a virtual Facebook soda, getting VR credits when posting said soda on my FB page...I'll pass.

r0botdevil t1_itxix4m wrote

>But the future is not predictable (just ask Tom from myspace).

I mean Tom cashed out for like half a billion dollars when he sold MySpace though, so I bet he's feeling pretty good about how things ended up playing out for him.