Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

lmnjello t1_isxd2zg wrote

He didn’t say that at all. He means if there is someone out there that wants to do harm to Muslims Sikhs can often end up targets because the perpetrator doesn’t know the difference.

That doesn’t mean he condones violence against Muslims or makes any judgment about Muslims as a group.

Edit: I didn’t take it as a jab at Muslims but after reading it again I could see how it could be interpreted that way.

MrRumfoord t1_iszrrk7 wrote

I can kind of see where /u/Vakulum is coming from. You could say, "This is sad because Sikhs are generally peaceful" and you can say, "This is sad/stupid because people who commit hate crimes against Sikhs are often actually targeting Muslim Arabs" and there's no ambiguity. But if you say, "Sikhs are generally peaceful people but they get mistaken for Muslim Arabs" it sounds a little like there's an unstated assertion that Muslims aren't generally peaceful.

lmnjello t1_iszsezc wrote

I could see that. After reading it again it could be taken as “Sikhs are peaceful, unlike Arab Muslims”. I didn’t see it that way but I can see how it could come off that way, especially to Muslims.

[deleted] t1_isxghmo wrote

[deleted]

−29

SpoppyIII t1_isxs5ng wrote

Living your life hunting for reasons to be upset, even if you feel righteous and even if you are correct in your position, is bad for you.

You don't need to assume a person is mean-spirited, ignorant, inconsiderate, stupid, or any combination of those traits just because it's technically possible to read and interpret something they wrote in a way that is unkind toward some entity or group.

Please stop stressing yourself out like this.

FlyBird200 t1_isyagdg wrote

You are correct. This website is full of this same dog whistle whenever reddit talks about the Sikhs. People always comment that to imply Muslims may deserve the hate crimes but Sikhs do not.