Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

cornnndoggg_ t1_it89i4m wrote

Isn't this pretty similar to what happened in Walled Lake in September? Granted, that was violent, and immediate, but the same foundational detail between both cases. I think the Walled Like family annihilation thing was actually the morning of, or day after, 9/11. I thought I read the father had been having similar delusions about the events of 9/11.

edit: this case, and it looks like it was the morning of 9/11.

origamipapier1 t1_itavp96 wrote

If this case ends up similar, I highly suspect or suggest that the FBI look into the computers of this family and look for patterns in internet activity to that one. Dark web history, regular web history. Anything that links these cases together. This could potentially be a situation where a particular website/conspiracy group is driving people into full blown paranoia.

Enough societal stress, and enough brainwashing (think psychological breaking, which can be done and has been in the past) and you get people that snap.

Also, these two cases are the same state..

Commonality 1.

cornnndoggg_ t1_itbu8h7 wrote

I personally think there is definitely similarity between the two generally, but I am trying to think of it more locally. While I would normally say that there is a pretty big divide between the southeast and southwest of the state, the specific area of the southeast where the first case happened is not really all that different.

The southwest is known for being very conservative and very Christian, which seems to be prerequisites for Qanon. It's not so homogenous in the southeast... well it generally isn't, with the exception of this area. Sure, when you get north of major metropolitan areas, in like Almont, Romeo, Richmond, or Metamora, you run into a lot more of it, but areas even north of hall road are still mixed, like Washington or Rochester Hills. There just happens to be this strange pocket through Waterford, the lakes, and continuing east through northern Sterling Heights that is extremely galvanized in not only being Christian and conservative, but performatively Trump supporting, which I have noticed only makes Qanon beliefs a lot more common. I live in that area, and I always considered the Trump parades an element of deeply supporting areas, and not something I would ever see... until they were happening here every day.

A lot of these people have spent 6+ years believing, and nuancing their beliefs in that whole grift, and many of them went even deeper by reading into Qanon and opening themselves to some pretty insane conspiracies. The more you think about it, the less surprising it becomes that we are seeing things like this now.

ViceAdmiralObvious t1_itex1qq wrote

You know it's Michigan when people start doing cultural analysis not just at a county level, not just at a city level, but at a street-by-street level

cornnndoggg_ t1_ithjpca wrote

I get the joke, but it's pretty commonly known that hall road is a division line in terms of a lot of things. The history behind it is interesting, since it's basically the marker of what could be considered a second white flight in the northern suburbs, when people who originally moved to areas like Warren and St. Clair Shores decided they hadn't moved far enough once more people moved to those areas.

But this is true everywhere. I noticed the ideological divides almost down to the street when I lived in Louisville, Seattle, and Phoenix especially. Detroit's history of it is just way more emphasized.

[deleted] t1_it8stnc wrote

[removed]

−12

cornnndoggg_ t1_it8uljs wrote

Not really. I live about 10 miles from where it happened. There was quite a bit more talk about it locally, and it went quite a bit deeper in detail. I am saying that there is quite a bit of familiarity between the two stories, and there are also many other stories that have happened recently that also share those similarities. Honestly, I am not really sure what is the point you're trying to make?

Look at my post history. If I was concerned about karma I wouldn't spend half my time talking about Civilization 6.

librarianjenn OP t1_it8y4sh wrote

> If I was concerned about karma I wouldn't spend half my time talking about Civilization 6.

I wish I could give you gold for this, it's smart and hilarious.

AndyB1976 t1_it8ux2z wrote

OMG! You're on to something here. Very sinister and manipulative. Look! He has 12 upvotes in only 2 hours! Thank god you're here to call him out for his disgusting behavior.