Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Snorf t1_ixcbeu2 wrote

I once had a discussing in an intro to philosophy course about the hierarchy of bad shit. There was a consensus that murder was the worst thing a person could commit, but i was willing to die on the hill that says rape is worst.

GWS2004 t1_ixcrpr6 wrote

Both murder and rape, take a life away. But I agree that rape is worse as the person is living every day with that trama. It doesn't end.

WexfordHo t1_ixda35e wrote

I don’t know about better or worse, but there are recognized and accepted reasons to end a human life; I cannot think of a single good reason for sexual violence under any circumstances.

Snorf t1_ixfzgrc wrote

This is exactly why i believe it's worse. There aren't any situations that would make raping someone the favorable outcome for all.

adon_bilivit t1_ixecn0i wrote

I think certain torture methods are worse (I have read about some and had nightmares). However, I don't feel like it's appropriate to discuss what's worse in front of victims. It's not supposed to be a competition.

thegodfather0504 t1_ixckyih wrote

I would say it depends on the brutality of the rape.

If rape is worse than murder than why does society not recognise male rape victims?

−14

GWS2004 t1_ixcrjig wrote

They absolutely do recognize them. Please don't start with that divisive bullshit.

DearMrsLeading t1_ixj3y9m wrote

Men have done that to themselves and many still continue to do it. It should be recognized but it (often) isn’t and a large part of that is men minimizing the feelings of other men. You can’t have a conservative manly man culture that emphasizes strength without losing the ability to be vulnerable with each other.

Edit to say I’m referring to US culture specifically.

thegodfather0504 t1_ixj7j1i wrote

i don't buy that. It's illegal to assault or kill man. Why not rape?

Making laws is different than dealing with feelings. If women's rape is death worthy, men's rape should atleast be jail worthy.

DearMrsLeading t1_ixj8ybd wrote

I’m not going to assume what country you’re from or the laws there, I realize that I assumed you’re American for some reason, my bad.

The US generally doesn’t use the death penalty for rapists unless they also murdered the victim. Even then it’s not very common. The US has been slowly working to remove gendered language from our laws regarding sexual assault as well but it’s a long process that’s only partially completed. Conservative pushback about “being a man” is a large part of that problem, which was what I was referring to in my first comment.