Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Rage_Like_Nic_Cage t1_ivz5nni wrote

> In the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, migrants were stopped 2.38 million times, up 37% from the year before, according to newly released figures. The annual total surpassed 2 million for the first time in August and is more than twice the highest level during Donald Trump’s presidency, in 2019

So correct me if i’m wrong, but if the goal/objective was to stop people from coming over the border, wouldn’t an increase in stops mean they’re doing a better job than they were previously?

I’ve never heard of a cop’s job on the line because arrests went up.

JackMitcham t1_ivz6c7p wrote

I don't think it's saying he's being forced out because of the number of stops. The article is written to lead you to that conclusion, but they never actually make the claim.

modularpeak2552 t1_ivzcadf wrote

that's not how that works. for example if i shovel more snow from my driveway this year then i have in years before its not because i have suddenly gotten better at shoveling, its because it snowed a hell of a lot more then in years past.

dern_the_hermit t1_ivzybaz wrote

Well, we shouldn't be using the volume of snow you shoveled to determine annual snowfall levels, first of all...

RCrumbDeviant t1_iw0702a wrote

I don’t believe they’re correlated. If you read news stories about “border control” they like to float this number, regardless of relevance. The article, I felt, doesn’t really go into detail of why they’re firing him, just that he’s not liked by a variety of groups.

ImpressoDigitais t1_iw3don1 wrote

Not real stops. Give-ups. What the media and Reddit likes to label as asylum seekers. Counting these stops as enforcement wins would be disingenuous. I am not saying Magnus failed because they happened. It is just that they have and will continue to happen for the next foreseeable decade. Enforcement wins for the border would be measured in returns and removals.

Cheap_Coffee t1_ivz6l4y wrote

>The head of U.S. Customs and Border Protection is being forced out of
his job leading the nation’s largest law enforcement agency as the
number of illegal crossings rose to the highest level ever recorded in a fiscal year, according to two people familiar with the matter.

This is the first paragraph of the article.

−15

thatoneguy889 t1_ivz7a0d wrote

That just says the two things are happening concurrently. It doesn't say they are related.