Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

chockedup t1_j19n1qf wrote

If the parents are abusive, they probably wouldn't want mental health care, they might become a subject of investigation.

HaloGuy381 t1_j19pmjk wrote

You’d be surprised. More cunning abusers can readily have a therapist wrapped around their finger before the teen/kid/whoever figures out that abuse is the source of their issue. Then you have the very dangerous situation of a therapist reinforcing them, and simultaneously causing the victim to conclude that mental health professionals are not safe, even if they do eventually escape.

ToxicKnurdles t1_j1brnw1 wrote

I've experienced this and it's really hard to get out of. The gaslighting and everything else is very isolating. My father went around warning everyone I was a thief when I was 23. No one would help me. It's fucking terrible. Proving a negative. Fuck insurance companies. Fuck psychiatrists. Fuck Behavioral Hospitals. "Just because we don't have any evidence means we just haven't caught you in the act." How can you defend against something like that? My father was a doctor and people believed he was infallible. He literally had the police believing I joined ISIS in 2014. I fucking hate all those people.