Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Audioengineer68 t1_j54r9yi wrote

Giving Texas a run for the money.

CaptainMobilis t1_j559qwh wrote

I voted for people that wanted to upgrade our infrastructure last year. Most everyone else voted for thieves that will pocket the money and upgrade nothing. Then I bought a generator, so I won't freeze to death.

asdaaaaaaaa t1_j55evdh wrote

Might be wise to keep a small stockpile of gas if you can as well. It's the second thing to go during outages, the first being generators. You'll need to cycle it out as gas does go bad eventually, or stabilize it.

Zanzibar_T_Cricket t1_j55lqgt wrote

Many small generators are easily switched to propane. You can buy a kit to do it. Propane is much more stable long term, doesn't go bad and gum up parts, and you can also use it in a BBQ or other stove. Great emergency fuel and worth the cost if a conversion kit ..I recall mine was fairly inexpensive. I have a Honda generator.

Raalf t1_j55magm wrote

And very easy to source smaller tanks in an emergency!

imvii t1_j56mi5m wrote

I bought a duel fuel generator and only ever run propane through it. I had stockpiled about seven 30 pound tanks just in case. Then we got hit with the Fiona hurricane and my house was without power for 12 days. My tanks lasted the entire time.

I'd go into town and see long lines of people at the gas stations waiting to fill cans with gas for their generators. Places selling propane - no lines.

If you can run a generator off propane, it's the way to go.

CaptainMobilis t1_j55fo6c wrote

Agreed. I'll have to look into stabilizers, but it uses the same kind of gas my car does, so the current plan is to keep a bigass jug of it and periodically pour it in the car and refill it before it gets old.

asdaaaaaaaa t1_j55fv5f wrote

Either or works, so long as you're cycling it you should be good. Just don't want to let it sit for half a year on end or something.

wiseroldman t1_j56ukjz wrote

Texas not being a part of the national grid does not benefit Texans, only the energy company who is cutting costs by not following federal safety standards. It’s like setting up their own energy grid with blackjack and hookers only there is no blackjack or hookers, just power outages.

RKU69 t1_j560org wrote

Almost 1000 people died in Texas during Winter Storm Uri, so....not quite