Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Wtfatt t1_j7te0vy wrote

It does not matter whether someone 'chooses' their addiction or not, if ur addicted to something ur addicted to something. And often, the addict feels so bad and so down and out and hopeless and stuck that it hardly feels like a choice to them even though we know it is ( also just wanted to add that in no way am I coming from a place of animosity! Simply from a desire to inform :). )

Also being an addict, whether by choice or not does not make that person in lesser moral standing in any way. It is how they conduct themselves and what they do to those around them that shows their character, -and believe me, seeing how someone conducts themselves while in a desperate situation such as the one addiction puts u in, is often a great opertunity to see who they really are!

And I agree with u/tina_marie1018 - go full Dexter on em and eat u some baddies!

^edit: ^added ^a ^sentence

Writerwithoutsoul OP t1_j7u8ifs wrote

You're right, thanks for clarifying that. I also believe that addiction is never a choice, no matter whether it's alcohol or skin-shifting.

As a child, I was actually very angry at my birth-parents for being the way they were. I thought they choose their addiction over me, that I had just not been good enough. But then, Mom told me stories on how addiction affects the brain, even some annectdotes of her own patients, of good people, loving people with families, who really did want to stop because they loved their kids so, so much, but couldn't. This really helped me come to terms with the death of my birth-parents back then. She was a good Mom before I ate her.