Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MoneyBags5200 t1_j9kubbm wrote

Fined $2,000 for having a hole in his house (charge 1) and not having a window installed (charge 2). It is not clickbait that’s exactly what happened in the title wtf. The point being it was extremely tone-deaf to his situation.

Castod28183 t1_j9lp8fg wrote

Cities/municipalities do this in order to "incentivize"(so to speak) people into fixing the problem. They would not actually fine a person that was working on fixing the issue. They are just saying, "Hey we know you have a giant hole in your house, we know it's not you're fault, but you do need to get those repairs started to bring your house back up to code."

They do this because there are some people that would just half-ass some repairs or leave them unrepaired altogether. This is a big issue with burned down houses. A lot of people will just abandon the property of a burned down residence if they don't have the means to repair it.

Again, there is absolutely zero chance that the city would actually fine the guy if he was actively working to resolve the problem.

Outrageous-Stay6075 t1_j9kx1m9 wrote

...and that fine goes away as soon as the repairs are made. Did you read the whole article?

−22

MoneyBags5200 t1_j9kxm93 wrote

Yes that’s how I know what it said my guy. You as a person don’t seem to think it is unreasonable for a city to NOT fine a person for a separate person driving into their house. Tell me how this statement is false “Texas homeowner faces fines after suspected DWI driver damages house”. That’s what happened, yes the fines will go away but it’s the gall to do it in the first place. You couldn’t even put that into the title grammatically with how it was written. And if you don’t understand my point after this then well it doesn’t matter.

stewmander t1_j9lh86r wrote

Faces fines.

He wasn't fined.

It's click bate because it could just as easily been written "faces potential fines" or something.

"Hey, we're just letting you know that you're technically in violation, you have 30 days to fix it, but if you need more time just let us know."

Honestly the city seems the most reasonable of all involved here, but I get that an NOV letter might hurt the homeowners feelings.

−7

soolkyut t1_j9lbpfk wrote

You’re right, but it’s more fun for people to think the city is actually fining this guy.

They’re just flagging it in their system.