Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

cb43569 t1_j9t49jz wrote

There are no laws in the UK governing which bathroom you can use. The fact that women use the women's bathroom and men use the men's bathroom is a matter of social convention. It's a bit like how there's no law saying you can't skip a queue, but you would be shamed by the people around you if you did. (In the US in recent years, right-wing Republicans have been introducing "bathroom bills" enforcing this division, but in the service of transphobia by excluding trans women from women's bathrooms.)

In this case, a court has made an order banning this guy from women's bathrooms, meaning that he will in fact be guilty of a criminal offence if he goes into one.

SPITFIYAH t1_j9t852d wrote

Ten years ago, your response would have been perfectly reasonable here in the states, now I need to speak slowly so my bastard folks can understand me.

RedBottom123 t1_ja0ny14 wrote

How tf are they gonna enforce that tbh. I’m just curious bc like what’s stopping him from doing this again, I doubt cops are going and checking the bathrooms for this man

Ochib t1_j9u5n8w wrote

And if you are taking a child to the loo and are the opposite sex to your child that also can raise confusion about which loo to use

−8