Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MrTomDawson t1_j9t2a4e wrote

Maybe I've misunderstood, but my understanding has always been that as a man I'm already banned from the women's toilets?

cb43569 t1_j9t49jz wrote

There are no laws in the UK governing which bathroom you can use. The fact that women use the women's bathroom and men use the men's bathroom is a matter of social convention. It's a bit like how there's no law saying you can't skip a queue, but you would be shamed by the people around you if you did. (In the US in recent years, right-wing Republicans have been introducing "bathroom bills" enforcing this division, but in the service of transphobia by excluding trans women from women's bathrooms.)

In this case, a court has made an order banning this guy from women's bathrooms, meaning that he will in fact be guilty of a criminal offence if he goes into one.

SPITFIYAH t1_j9t852d wrote

Ten years ago, your response would have been perfectly reasonable here in the states, now I need to speak slowly so my bastard folks can understand me.

RedBottom123 t1_ja0ny14 wrote

How tf are they gonna enforce that tbh. I’m just curious bc like what’s stopping him from doing this again, I doubt cops are going and checking the bathrooms for this man

Ochib t1_j9u5n8w wrote

And if you are taking a child to the loo and are the opposite sex to your child that also can raise confusion about which loo to use

−8

aagjevraagje t1_j9t65a4 wrote

In a lot of places gendered bathrooms are not in fact legally enforced.

Men who need to use a changing station or borrow a toilet roll or have to deal with maintenance being done on the mens toilet or whatever other non creepy reason one might use the bathroom of another gender for have not crossed any legal boundary.

It’s harrasing people and voyourism that’s not allowed.

That’s how it works in much of the world.

Psychomadeye t1_j9ugllu wrote

Men's rooms don't have changing stations? Now that I think about it I've never seen this when I've traveled to Europe.

HovisTMM t1_j9ujh51 wrote

Over time in the UK ive seen a few pop up, mainly in supermarkets. Any building that hasn't been renovated since 2010 almost certainly doesn't have one.

Psychomadeye t1_j9vfrev wrote

That's a little weird as I remember seeing them and asking about them when I was little. Just lucky I guess?

Mysticpoisen t1_j9ujqt6 wrote

They're much less common than in women's.

Psychomadeye t1_j9vfj2z wrote

Must be regional. I see them a lot. The only time I don't is at certain bars, or coffee shops.

cgknight1 t1_j9tdck4 wrote

No there is no law on this and its amazing common in busy bars to find women come into the men's to use a cubicle.

SirThatsCuba t1_j9vkyuw wrote

When I was a kid I remember it very common to find women in the men's rooms. Now I either tend to just go to less popular attractions or they've figured out how to provide women with enough toilets. Not sure which I never wanted to be a civil engineer.

cr0ft t1_j9tkuwe wrote

Putting a sign on the door that says "Women" doesn't have any actual laws and regs behind it.

In fact, I always try to use women's restrooms myself if they're single occupancy obviously... I don't go into big ones with stalls. Why single occupancy ones, though? Because the chances that there will be piss on the ceiling, walls, seat and floor go down slightly vs men's public restrooms, where all that is guaranteed.

In this case, the issue is that the guy is a voyeuristic perv lowlife and thus banned from being exactly that.

Scrapple_Joe t1_j9u67e5 wrote

I think the chances flip depending where you are. From the bar work in my life women avoiding sitting while drunk gets....messy

ButterscotchSure6589 t1_j9w2q64 wrote

I used to use the single occupancy ladies at work on nights sometimes,there was no gents on that floor. I was always very very careful, and always put the seat back down.

lvl1developer t1_j9wez5d wrote

Nah you just need to identify as a woman, you can still be a man

−2