Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

OdinsLawnDart t1_j9ojj13 wrote

Didn't Seinfeld warn us about this in the late 90s?

teplightyear t1_j9pouf3 wrote

The Pentagon has even issued this warning before. I'm pretty sure they just reissue it periodically to make sure all the young guys get a chance to hear it before they try using that as an excuse.

OdinsLawnDart t1_j9pp9ng wrote

That's likely. Super unfortunate though considering how often a love of heroine paired with bagels go hand-in-hand. Damnit, Taliban! You've won this round

FuehrerStoleMyBike t1_j9ohwt9 wrote

thats why they are banned from german prisons since they kept leading to false positive tests.

doesnt feel worthy for this sub though. Thats just regular news.

Thai_Lord t1_j9odqui wrote

Fairly sure everyone over the age of 12 is aware of this.

Poison_Ice_Blade t1_j9pce7s wrote

Not everyone knows that opium comes from poppy plant.

It might be more common knowledge with Europeans because of their trade history. But i don’t think its that well known in America.

−2

Thai_Lord t1_j9pd8hm wrote

Literally everyone in America knows this. Mostly from Seinfeld, but I also learned it at least 37 times from other kids in school.

BrightGreyEyes t1_j9sm8hv wrote

Yeah, but learning about it like that is the kind of thing that could make you doubt it

Poison_Ice_Blade t1_j9pe0ry wrote

Seinfeld? Is that like a tv show? Kinda sounds like one. My school also never talked about drugs so openly. So I have no idea what you’re talking about.

I learned it from an anime that is based in industrial Britain, they briefly referenced the opium drug problem they had at the time.

−3

Thai_Lord t1_j9pedj1 wrote

No it's a band duh

Poison_Ice_Blade t1_j9pepr9 wrote

That would explain it, I’m not interested in music enough to justify knowing song or band names with the exception of the most popular ones.

−1

Cindexxx t1_j9s8pyh wrote

It's hit and miss.

Fun fact: it's because they're doing it wrong. The seeds don't contain any opium. It's in the latex. But commercial processing just squishes the pods to separate the seeds, and it's smashed all over them. They're supposed to wash them but it costs more so..... Nope lol.

Aloha_Fox t1_j9opv0i wrote

When I was in the Marines the lemon poppyseed pound cake was the second most sought after item from any MRE (provided by the DoD), second only to jalapeno cheese.

drillgorg t1_j9pmqhy wrote

I gotta know how people ate the jalapeno cheese? Did they put it on food or just raw dog it?

Edit: I'm an idiot jalapeno cheese is a flavor of bagel. I thought there was just a coveted flavor of blocks of cheese.

Aloha_Fox t1_j9q15bb wrote

It was a cheese spread. It came in a pouch. We ate it straight out of the pouch, spread on crackers, or mixed into one of the other menu items like chili mac.

dj4slugs t1_j9ofkrz wrote

I guess they missed that episode of Mythbusters.

Oseirus t1_j9p3fua wrote

This is the same Pentagon that unilaterally banned anything to do with CBD, including lotions and OTC food products/supplements.

Even if the possibility exists of showing positive, the Pentagon is extremely paranoid about this stuff.

Frankthestank2220 t1_j9odykm wrote

While true, you have to eat an insane amount of poppy seeds. One bagel won’t make you piss dirty.

cynic-el OP t1_j9oed38 wrote

It depends how much is on the bagel… and watch out for them pastries… “Poppy seed cake, bagels, muffins, and rolls did not contain sufficient quantities of poppy seeds to give rise to opiate positive specimens by U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) GC-MS cutoff levels (morphine = 4000 ng/mL, codeine = 2000 ng/mL), although a number of specimens were positive by National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) cutoff levels (morphine and codeine = 300 ng/mL). However, ingestion of poppy seed streusel or Danish pastry led to confirmed morphine and codeine positive specimens, irrespective of the use of DOD or NIDA confirmation cutoff values.” Source: pubmed article

operationiffy t1_j9of2q7 wrote

As far as bagels go, not the onion, the poppy seed.

Royal_Acanthisitta51 t1_j9ok2tm wrote

I used to have to get randomly drug tested for work. I asked about it at medical just before I peed in the cup. The tech laughed and said it used to be true but they were using a newer test that did not show positive if you had a poppy muffin or bagel. I never had a false positive.

lomirgenii t1_j9onvby wrote

Oh totally makes sense. In India we make this sweet dish called gasgase payasa which use poppy seeds... Is the tastiest thing and we serve it during festivals or celebrations etc. Everyone takes a nap after a cup or two after eating this. Here is the recipe. https://youtu.be/Oomz63k74dg

Zealousideal_Wish687 t1_j9pm0hv wrote

Far more likely that (much like thanksgiving meals here in America) that eating a lot of food and partying makes you tired. Opium comes from the dried sap of an unripe poppy seed pod. Not dried and baked seeds.

lomirgenii t1_j9rd887 wrote

Awww man. Let it be my headcanon. Then I can go around telling people that my family used to get children high by ritualistic consumption of opiods.

BadlyFed t1_j9oybe0 wrote

Someone near the top knows they are going to pop positive on a piss test and wants to have an easy excuse. Everyone knows this but you would need to eat a fuck ton to get the point you popped.

Urgullibl t1_j9pi7xl wrote

...that's been known for a long time, yes. Don't see why it would be oniony.

themanwhomfall t1_j9q24jr wrote

That actually true, myth busters did a segment on it.

psilocin72 t1_j9qbx8z wrote

Troops eat a lot more than poppy seeds. I live near Fort Drum in northern New York and the place is crawling with all sorts of drugs

Fast-Reality7650 t1_j9rtz5l wrote

You can take my liberty but ill be damned if you take my poppyseed bagels

MikeTheGamer2 t1_j9sar3t wrote

How are we not able to differentiate actual drug use from someone that's eaten some poppy seeds ?

RealPrinceJay t1_j9yg8w3 wrote

Was a D1 athlete in college, we were warned of this as well lol

cynic-el OP t1_j9ofpvq wrote

Bonus personal story: my father once baked poppy seed muffins with an extra heavy measure of seeds (if he likes a flavor, he really likes it… when the recipe calls for 1 clove of garlic he adds 3…) and these muffins tasted great: I ate 3 at 6 am just before heading off to high school. By 11 am I could barely keep myself awake and I kept dosing off in classes, but I made it through the day and as soon as I got home I took a nap. Later that night when we were talking about our days, my dad said he could barely stay awake at work, and we both suddenly made the connection to those muffins.

−4

Zealousideal_Wish687 t1_j9plqid wrote

You do know that opium comes from the sap of the unripe poppy seed pod right…and not the actual dried and baked seeds? I think you should do a bit of research before making half baked (or fully baked in this case) connections. If it was that easy to create that strong a reaction from just the seeds they would be far, far more controlled than they are.

Moms_spaghetti_6969 t1_j9s0yvb wrote

You can make an intoxicant off store bought seeds, it takes a lot though. The seed, pod, stem, and even the leaf still have latex in them, just not as much or as high a quality as from the living pod

BrightGreyEyes t1_j9smms9 wrote

The problem is that the seeds need to be cleaned to remove the sap, and the cleaning isn't always as thorough as you'd want it to be