Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

enderandrew42 t1_j9ka6lh wrote

It isn't unusual in keto diets to add avocado oil or some fat to coffee. Some people call it bulletproof coffee. I've tried it and I am not a fan.

PEVEI t1_j9ke3zx wrote

The keto people are a weird bunch, by the time they get to adding grease to coffee I figure their tastebuds died a loooong time ago.

Matthew_C1314 t1_j9lcz8y wrote

IDK, to me the Keto diet looks like it was created by a cardiologist trying to drum up business.

UnkleRinkus t1_j9lja79 wrote

It's been pretty well documented that the original doctor behind all of us fearing fat and cholesterol faked his data in his studies. Then the USDA (or FDA, I can't remember) started pushing grain based foods into the food pyramid' to pacify agricultural interests.

Jewrachnid t1_j9n5atm wrote

What are you talking about? It has been a well-established fact that high cholesterol significantly increases your chances of developing heart disease.

Feynnehrun t1_j9pqisz wrote

It's also well-established that high dietary cholesterol has a very weak if any impact on blood cholesterol.

pseudocultist t1_j9ocb0e wrote

High bad cholesterol, and keto doesn’t increase bad cholesterol for everyone, nor significantly if it does. But some people shouldn’t be doing it at all for this reason, sure.

−1

Raptoer t1_j9mkjpc wrote

The keto diet is trying to force the body into a state of ketosis, where your body skips the step of converting fats to glucose. There are 2 potential uses for this, treating epilepsy, and type 2 diabetes.

However to actually achieve ketosis requires an EXTREME diet, and if you don't fully reach ketosis then you don't get any of the benefits. Just 50 grams of carbohydrates is too much. A true keto diet is like, 80% pure fat. Imagine sitting down for dinner and mostly heavy cream and butter.

​

It may have negative effects on your heart health, but since its primary use is for treating epilepsy that medications cannot control, that's generally considered acceptable. The halfassed keto diets that people do for weight loss are just pointless.

Allbymyelf t1_j9n7ok4 wrote

I wouldn't say low-carb diets are pointless. Study after study has shown that if you're going to cut calories from your existing diet, you'll be healthier and less miserable if you cut carbs rather than fat. What's pointless is replacing carbs with fat without lowering your food intake, and expecting health benefits.

Allbymyelf t1_j9n7tpr wrote

This is a pretty weird sentiment to me, as high-fat coffee drinks have been extremely popular for decades now. A frappuccino might as well be made with butter, y'all just can't stand it without sugar.

PEVEI t1_j9p3e1f wrote

Might as well replace the ice cream in a milkshake with oil, it will be just as delicious! /s

Allbymyelf t1_j9qxog6 wrote

Again, I really don't get it. You think cream without loads of added sugar tastes terrible, or you think oil and butter are totally different foods? Anyway, people have been putting oil in coffee since the 1950s as a cream substitute. Don't understand why you're determined to get upset at "the keto people" for something that is, again, way more popular than keto itself.

InflamedLiver t1_j9kgf2j wrote

like the adding butter to coffee. I think it's gross but to each their own

wanker_vision269er t1_j9kh56q wrote

I tried that, too. It's okay with espresso, but regular coffee not so much.

NinjaWrapper t1_j9klp33 wrote

I've added vanilla ghee to coffee and I actually liked it. Gives it a little creaminess without the lactose.

[deleted] t1_j9lg59y wrote

I’ll give you a little creaminess!

DeaDGoDXIV t1_j9mgcne wrote

Someone with that username would say that.

"I showed up but where are you?"

MoreRamenPls t1_j9osac9 wrote

Doesn’t this give it a laxative effect?

InflamedLiver t1_j9oyzbq wrote

More so than a regular coffee? I can’t say for everyone but it did nothing different for me

ssbSciencE t1_j9x7avv wrote

In my two week long experience, yes. Very much yes.

MacDugin t1_j9m20p1 wrote

I like salted butter mixed in my coffee the salt takes the bitter edge of the coffee off, and satiates a bit of hunger.