Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SmackEh t1_j8fjqvb wrote

Women underwear is (can be) very luxurious, compared to what's available for men.

That being said, if underwear is expensive then it would be effectively taxed more simply by how percentages work...

SelectiveSanity t1_j8fm0ey wrote

Keep in mind, government officials also thought that tampons were luxury items.

gophergun t1_j8hmfbm wrote

That link doesn't actually say who those officials are. I'm guessing it's just them being subject to sales tax in the same way that toilet paper is.

−2

davewhitebarber t1_j8gkgj2 wrote

The luxury is being able to throw them away vs washing out a diva cup

−28

Gh0stMan0nThird t1_j8h26a7 wrote

I am forever traumatized by those cups because of the time my ex left one in the trash and one of her dogs found it.

I thought it was a yogurt lid or something when I got it away from him.

Uturuncu t1_j8hgzl8 wrote

I'm really not sure what you wrested away from your dog, but if it was able to be confused with a yogurt lid it probably wasn't a diva cup.

Diva cups are a full silicone cup, about an inch across and a couple inches deep, and they really shouldn't be going in the trash; they're reusable.

Mine did come with some special 'sample' disposable silicone rings with plastic over them that were one-and-done called menstrual discs which might be what you're thinking of? Their big advantage is not taking up much space in the vagina for mess-free sex during a period.

crippledjosh t1_j8hi1ki wrote

Pretty sure that's a diaphragm, which is a form of contraception.

Gh0stMan0nThird t1_j8hiirg wrote

Well it was covered in blood, or at least what the dog left on it :(

I touched it with my hands and held it up to my face to smell it because I had no idea what it was

Uturuncu t1_j8hjflm wrote

Not a diaphragm, that absolutely is a menstrual disc. Do not expect them to provide contraception, but they're disposable, low footprint, and apparently comfortable. They unsettle me, I haven't tried them. The menstrual cup is in the bottom right, reusable, but the size makes them uncomfy for some folk.

Edit; Also sorry you had to deal with that. These things really should be less taboo so it's not such a baffling 'what the fuck is this shit?!' surprise when a product ends up somewhere it shouldn't.

Dogs and trashcans I am so familiar with, 'cause a dog I lived with managed to get a tampon string wrapped around her teeth and was choking on it in her throat after she got in the trash.

GinnyMcJuicy t1_j8gdbjj wrote

If you read the article, the cheap stuff is taxed more than the high end stuff.

9month_foodbaby t1_j8fqjdp wrote

Sorry bro. Granny panties for all. If we have to pay more than we will buy less. Victoria's secret is now that high waisted cotton with a stupid floral print.

nooshaw t1_j8ioi1n wrote

Then why aren't men's underwear luxurious? I'm envious, we should all be able to have such luxuries.