Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Boondala t1_jd3je9j wrote

What kind of car has a speedometer that does not indicate both MPH and KPH??

Dent13 t1_jd3o2wj wrote

Cars with no intention of being sold in the American or British markets won't have MPH. And older (like 1980s or older) American cars don't have KPH.

permabanned007 t1_jd3sl6e wrote

American cars do have KPH. It’s smaller and underneath the MPH. Even have their own tick marks.

Dent13 t1_jd3y9pg wrote

Not all older cars do. Especially pre 70s oil crisis cars. Pretty much anything made stateside pre 1975 (the year Canada switched to metric) was mostly sold in the States and Canada and there was minimal sharing of parts between production in the US and in other countries. There was really no reason to include KPH on them so they didn't, and even reproduction parts for the cars that managed to become classics tend not to include KPH unless it's on digital gauges.

permabanned007 t1_jd41taz wrote

Thank u for the info. Most running pre-1975 cars here are “classics” that are extremely rare to see on the road if there isn’t a car show that day.

twistedcheshire t1_jd3ypbs wrote

In some cars, you can switch it from Km/h to MPH and back. I had a car that did that, completely forgot I had it set to Km/h and was wondering why I was getting passed by people here in the states...

Yeah, fun times, but it CAN happen! LOL

LuvCilantro t1_jd53pqy wrote

I did the opposite. My car was set to MPH and not KPH, so while the speed limit was 70 kph (around 40 mph), I was gearing up to go up to 70 mph. I only noticed because there was one of those signs that tell you your speed, and when I went by it just said SLOW DOWN.

twistedcheshire t1_jd5pqxz wrote

Ah yes! The fun signs that basically yell at you to slow down. LOL

We have a few of those here in the school zones (which I do appreciate!) but damn, 1 mph over the limit and its trying to slap you. LOL

mickelboy182 t1_jd4frx6 wrote

I don't think cars in Australia have MPH.... might be a setting but nobody would use it for obvious reasons

LuvCilantro t1_jd53y8l wrote

I suspect driving to other countries is not as common for Australians though....

mickelboy182 t1_jd54jm1 wrote

Of course not, though do that many countries still use miles? Seems kinda antiquated.

RealLongwayround t1_jd726m1 wrote

I think miles are used only in the UK, USA, Liberia and Myanmar these days.

[deleted] t1_jd3y4dg wrote

[removed]

AutoModerator t1_jd3y4f1 wrote

Sorry, but your account is too new to post. Your account needs to be either 2 weeks old or have at least 250 combined link and comment karma. Don't modmail us about this, just wait it out or get more karma.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Camburglar13 t1_jd4azvl wrote

Some only have one set of numbers and you have to go into the settings to choose which units you’re using

LuvCilantro t1_jd53el6 wrote

Our cars have digital dashboards, and the speed is indicated as one large number, not a dial. We can alternate between KM and Miles depending on where we are driving, but we don't get both.

HandsOnGeek t1_jd6sib6 wrote

General motors cars with the computer controlled faux analog gauge packages display only one set of units at a time. You have to push a button on the dashboard to manually switch between mph and kph.

Minionz t1_jd3yj0t wrote

my JDM only has KM. Got a insert/overlay to change it over.

−2

Sputnickky t1_jd3nwel wrote

Was a time when GM vehicles had a metric KPH to MPH conversion switch on the dashboard that read ..and I'm not kidding .. English/Metric.. English ffsakes !

−3

ArenSteele t1_jd48wml wrote

The Imperial System originates from….Imperial England. So Imperial IS the English system. (It’s just that the English one day looked up and said “hey the way the French do this is much better!”

pensezbien t1_jd6n1jt wrote

Love the username! I’m rereading the books now, currently in book 7 of the main series but also working through the other novels and novellas from both authors for the first time.

ArenSteele t1_jd6u53l wrote

It’s actually an Alias I created based on a character from this game I’m probably seriously dating myself. But I assume you are reading the Riftwar books the game was based on? I never read them myself

I’ve used it for online games since EverQuest

pensezbien t1_jd7nsha wrote

I am rereading the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. Aren is a city in that world, and weapons made of Aren steel are high quality and hard to break. I was assuming you had just added the “e” to the end of the phrase “Aren steel” to make it sound like a person’s name.